Own a Freelander... dreaming of a Discovery III

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hpais

Reaction score
Hello,

I just joined this forum, and I'm willing to learn from others who have done this before, the good and bad points of the Discovery III, known in the USA as LR3.

most specifically, I want the 7 seats, so here in Brazil I have to get the SE or HSE models. With the cost of auto gas, I intend on getting the TDV6.

My questions are:

1. The air springs on the SE and HSE, how much a source of trouble are they? In the long range (10 years) how's the reliability of these parts? Are they a source of maintenance headaches?

2. Are the 7 seats retrofitable to a Discovery III S? The one which comes with 5 seats? Is there a source to purchase these seats in the UK or USA?

3. What would you worry about if you were buying a Discovery III and intended to keep it for 10 years? Do they last that long?

My history of ownership if you care,

I owned a Discovery II in 2000, a Td5 S, manual gear and I loved the thing. It never gave me any trouble. Ran 40,000km in 5 months, so I did enjoy it a lot! Everything was mechanical, no air springs, so nothing gave me trouble with this car.

I travel to Boston quite frequently and purchased from a dealer in Rte9-Natick the protective plates for that car and a bunch of other nifty accessory and blings.

But life's not perfect and I got moved to Mexico, no Land Rovers there... and when I came back, hell had broken loose, the dollar exchange rate was through the roof and I got a Freelander, no money for the Disco.

I've owned my Freelander SE 2004 since October/04, and the only troubles I had were with the buterfly valve and intake manifold, both of which were replaced under warranty a couple of times. My Freelander is petrol/gasoline fuel, and it lacks power and accelleration. It's very comfortable and cheap to run, since all major problems I had were under warranty. Since coming out of warranty, she's running like a charm.

So, now money's back, and I want a Discovery III. I would avoid the air springs and adaptive suspension if I could, but since I want/need 7 seats, they come with the patch.

Any comments, will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hermann

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... most of these question will probably be best asked in the LR3 section. Most people don't stop by the intro section to look at issues or reliability questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99