Painting with Plasti-Dip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to say here but to acknowledge the Good and Bad of trying to paint my wheels. I cleaned the wheels and wiped them with alcohol and then with a dry towel. I masked off the parts I wanted clean, and proceeded to put down three coats of black plasti-dip paint. I started with one wheel as an experiment and after a few hours of drying, I removed the tape. The good news is that the product is easily removable. The bad news is that the product is easily removable. Large sections of the rubber paint came off cleanly with the masking tape. Crap. Off to the powder coat shop I went, almost instantaneously. I guess I just don't have the finness or patience required.

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I wanted to get my wheels painted professionally but opted against it as even paint will chip... Powder coating is def the way to go

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to say here but to acknowledge the Good and Bad of trying to paint my wheels. I cleaned the wheels and wiped them with alcohol and then with a dry towel. I masked off the parts I wanted clean, and proceeded to put down three coats of black plasti-dip paint. I started with one wheel as an experiment and after a few hours of drying, I removed the tape. The good news is that the product is easily removable. The bad news is that the product is easily removable. Large sections of the rubber paint came off cleanly with the masking tape. Crap. Off to the powder coat shop I went, almost instantaneously. I guess I just don't have the finness or patience required.
I made a post a while back about this as I PlastiDipped all of my wheels just to see how they look and it was short lived - especially after off roading. I had all my wheels powder coated and it looks awesome. It's definitely the way to go!

What type of black are you doing? Matte? Satin? I did Matte with 30% satin.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a post a while back about this as I PlastiDipped all of my wheels just to see how they look and it was short lived - especially after off roading. I had all my wheels powder coated and it looks awesome. It's definitely the way to go!

What type of black are you doing? Matte? Satin? I did Matte with 30% satin.

I didn't get too tricky, he showed me a Flat, a Matte, and a Gloss. I went with the Matte. No you have me worried.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get too tricky, he showed me a Flat, a Matte, and a Gloss. I went with the Matte. No you have me worried.
Hey Kevin,

Did not mean to worry you. I had the intention of going with matte, but it was VERY matte and just didn't full match some of the trim, so I opted for him to add 30% satin to give a slight shine. Take a look at some of my threads for photos. Personally, I think the matte looks pretty darn great, just need to get the same side vents. I think I know of a supplier in the UK that offers matte side vents.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you powder coating the redbournes? Leaving any of the lip chrome?

I just installed the black side vents, door handles and smoked turn signals. Thinking grille an wheels next. Might wait and powder coat the wheels till I need new 20" tires.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I painted the side grilles and the front grill over the weekend. i removed all the badges and will install the Kaymar on Saturday.

The Dukes are going to be matte black with the same brushed lip as before. I'm basically changing the gunmetal to black. I left the lip because I was hesitant of full black. I wanted to leave a little contrast somewhere.

Where did you pick up the door handles? are they matte?

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool, that's what I would do on the dukes. Can't wait to see the finished product.

The handles are gloss an picked them up from adamesh4x4 in the uk.

Need to find the landmark/metropolis grille so everything is the Santorini Black, I might go with more of a gloss on my dukes or maybe satin. I always powder coated my Ducati's frame Satin Black and it has some gloss to it.

Either way your dukes will look killer.

I have no idea why my iphone keeps changing and to an.....***?

Last edited:

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I'm expecting them to look like. I should get them back next week sometime. I heading to the shop this evening to see one.

Attachments

• Black Dukes.jpg
    Black Dukes.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 31

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Kevin,

I love that shade of black - looks awesome. I think that will match your trim quite nice! Are you going to get the Land Rover center caps or the green ones?

-David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo