Plugging a refrigerant leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about releasing the pressure through the low pressure side? I don't know totally how an A/C system works, so I'm unsure if the entire system will be drained at the same time or what....also whether the EPA would freak out if I released a bunch of R134A into the atmosphere.

:confused:

D

discomike

Jeff,
Like you have mentioned, you are not familiar with A/C systems, you should let a shop do the repairs or take it back to SLO and have them repair it under warranty. Yes it is against the law to release any freon, you may contaminate your system and you don't have the equipment to pump down and recharge your lines anyway.
Mike

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember about 7 years ago, the fine for releasing refrigerent into the atmosphere was 25k, in Cal of course. That was when I was working for a heat and air shop, not sure if the fines are the same for people without the license. It may or may not have increased but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike and Monty,
yes, I figured that would be the case. Just thought I'd ask if there was any home remedy to A/C stuff. A place here in Thousand Oaks, CA, gave me an estimate for the job. Evacuating and refilling the system - $105. Sealing the connection 1/2 hr. -$35. Four pounds of R-134a @ $22/lb(holy crap the markup on that is about 300%) -$88. Total should be around $230.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks again.

D

discomike

jeff,
All things considered that is probably cheap, especially for our beloved Rovers, and like your girl friend always says' $$ CHA-CHING $$.
Mike J.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72