Poping the hatch from the inside. Does yours actualy open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

schafari

Frankly, I don't mind mechanical issues. I am not frustrated about the non opening hatch. I will be using it often as a quick overnight sleeping rig. Opening the hatch from the inside is very often used in this scenario.

I also don't think is a matter of a typo in the manual. It clearly should open as that is what it is designed for. It does not work as intended. It is a design issue that is impeding function.

I'll try get it fixed. Once I can get a hold of some working diagrams and the service manual, I may be able to tap into the glass hatch switch and install an additional one inside the rear hatch area. I am going to order a second switch. I'll just order the same switch that is outside. Tap in and mount the inside release someplace convenient. It is likely only a momentary switch with perhaps a relay.

I do love the vehicle by the way. It is really an awesome machine and I am enjoying the day lights out of it.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schafari said:
I also don't think is a matter of a typo in the manual. It clearly should open as that is what it is designed for. It does not work as intended. It is a design issue that is impeding function.
Well, we don't currently know what "intended" behavior is for the production vehicle. Product engineering and documentation aren't always in parity.

Yes, adding an internal release switch to the rear seems like your best option if it's possible without causing too much grief. Even if the safety latching didn't exist, you'd still need to make it all the way to the front of the vehicle to release.

S

schafari

Grommet, you seem to have some good insight and technical knowledge of the LR3. Do you know where I can get a Factory Official Service Repair manual? Are they out yet? I usually get them from Helm or Bentley.

If not, any ideas on drill down technical data, diagrams, and procedures? The GTR website is great, but it is mostly non-service related other than the install guides.

I am specifically looking for internal wiring diagrams for the rear hatch and schematic type data for the Nav and Audio systems.

Any help is appreciated as usual, thanks.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd revisit this. Did you ever go further with this?

As an alternative... You might be able to use the key fob Land Rover button to do this... if you program it to trigger the hatch.

S

schafari

Grommet: There is no easy work around. I resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to tap into the actual outside switch wiring and install a duplicate switch inside. I am hoping I can simply use any other momentary switch. If not, then the plan is to order another outdoor switch, and install in inside, and tap into the wires.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about using the key fob LR button to pop?

S

schafari

It won't work. You have to physically press the glass hatch button. Oddly, the emergency release pop method described in the manual won't work either. You press the two lock/unlock buttons on the dash at the same time. It does pop the glass hatch, but then the hatch is still locked but cracked up. It does not open.

S

schafari

It won't work. You have to physically press the glass hatch button. Oddly, the emergency release pop method described in the manual won't work either. You press the two lock/unlock buttons on the dash at the same time. It does pop the glass hatch, but then the hatch is still locked but cracked up. It does not open.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schafari, I just tried it... it works fine. I can open from the inside. Press once (unlocks main lock), push against the interior hatch and press again (to release the safety, allowing you to push it open). Or something very close to that. You basically have a remote outside button if you program the LR button for the hatch...

(It might be the only use for that feature on the LR3; it's useless beyond that.)

Double post?

S

schafari

Grommet if that works, I'll owe you one for sure. I'll try it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM