Poping the hatch from the inside. Does yours actualy open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "emergency" open sequence does "unlock" the hatch technically, but you need to push/hold the exterior button to open it due to the safety latching it has. The behavior is the same overseas, too... so I guess it's "by design."

Where do they advertise it as an "emergency exit"? I see no mention of that anywhere... And please don't spin this into a typical litigious American thing. :D

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your LR3 an 05 or 06??? also could you please give me the pg # that calls it an "emergency exit" I cannot seem to find that reference ?? Thanks

John

S

schafari

It is specifically on pages 45 and 47. I'll start with page 47, "Tailgate: Opening the upper tailgate." "If the upper tailgate fails to open, an emergency procedure is available, see Tailgate emergency unlock, 45."

Page 45, "Tailgate emergency unlock: Simultaneously pressing both the master lock and unlock switches for three seconds will cause the upper tailgate to release. This is an emergency release function in case the tailgate exterior release switch becomes inoperative."

This is a catch 22. If the exterior switch is broken, you use the emergency release procedure. However, if the emergency release procedure depends on going outside and using the the switch, but the whole reason you used the emergency release was because the switch was broken. . . See the problem? There is no point in having the upper tailgate pop, but get caught on the latch. You can't open from the inside, and you can't open if from the outside.

It does not say "exit." I am assuming that LR trusts the buyer to know how to exit and enter the vehicle. I can't find any use of the word exit/entrance in the manual, even though I think that is what the big openings would be used for.

(Please, don't be such a cliche and say "And please don't spin this into a typical litigious American thing. :D" If you read my comment it simply said that in this crazy litigious world, I can't believe attorney's for LR would be happy due to the obvious liability. I didn't say, lets sue. Jeepers.)

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the only question is what the real point of the hatch emergency unlock function is if it doesn't allow full opening. A scenario where the main lock won't disengage from outside, but the safety release still works?

There are plenty of documentation problems, especially in the '05 guides. But it would be nice to know what engineering intended here, though. If you've opened a call with customer service or your service department, go ahead and escalate it if you don't get a real answer.

At the very least, they'll fix the documentation for 2007. Maybe. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schafari

Well, LR's response on this was that they can't address items of a technical nature, and that I should address it with my local retailer. I will be doing that on Monday. Odd answer from LR. I have never owned a Rover before, mostly Audi/VW products. When I contact ***, they are all over stuff like this.

What a disappointing response. Unless I missed it, doesn't the LR retailer buy the product from the manufacturer, LR? I guess that song and dance about LR's "Retail Philosophy" endlessly espousing customer satisfaction in a pamplet dedicated to just that, may not be true in execution. Not that this is any indication overall, as it is a single solitary incident, but not a good first simple experience with LR.

I can't wait to spend my money on a product that I know I could talk to some technical gurus or people that are really into the product.

Depending upon what occurs at the dealer, we shall see.

My Audi A6 has an "emergency release" handle in the trunk. I can't imagine the fallout if someone actually tried to use it, and none of them worked, in any car. As soon as a German engineer heard that, he/she would not be able to sleep until it was resolved. I sure hope the English response isn't, "oh really? oh well."

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The emergency trunk release is now "by law" to prevent someone being accidentally trapped, kidnapped, etc. -- I think the control needs to "glow", too, so the "victim" can see it. That's a little different than being able to open a rear hatch in a vehicle that doesn't have a trunk and has 4 other doors. :D I don't think you can compare it.

Anyway, I hope you get an answer...

S

schafari

Yup, you are right on. In fact, mine even glowed just as you said!

S

schafari

Well, I had the dealer look at the rear hatch pop. When I described it, the service writer behaved as if it was an obvious problem, and just needed adjustment. However, when I picked up the truck, he was much different. He said that it was designed like the hood, to have the safety catch. When I said that was strange as the manual states that if the switch fails in the hatch, the emergency release should be used. I then asked if the switch failed, and the switch is required even if you press the emergency release, what good is the emergency release. His response was, "yup."

I then asked if it could be adjusted at all, as the manual states that there should be a working emergency release. He then rolled into, "they all do that so it is working."

(Gee, all the 05 fuel tanks leaked. Since they all did, maybe they were supposed to. All must be well if they are all screwed up. Nice logic.)

I'll be calling LRNA next. I'll also push this further with other org's.

X

xcursion

Typical LR dealer reaction and I doubt LRNA would be better. Hang in there.......

T

toddjb123

I think you're best just writing this one off. Its fruitless. You've heard everyone say that their LR3s do the same thing. (not some... *all* NA LR3s)

Just not worth getting all frustrated about. Enjoy the vehicle! You have 4 doors and a sunroof if you need to get out of the vehicle. There is no trunk for you to get locked into. The manual is incorrect about a lot of things. IMO you should just pick you battles, enjoy the vehicle, and save your energy for the check engine light! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM