Potential Discovery Owner needs advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris7200

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I don't own a Discovery yet, but I'm definitely in the market for one and need some guidance. I've heard so many things good and bad and need to figure out just what the truth is.

I really like the older body style and I'm looking for something between maybe 2001 - 2004.

Could anyone give me some tips on what to look for and avoid? Thanks

Oh, I live in Louisiana if that has any bearing on dealerships, mechanics, etc.:confused:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum...

you asked in another post about SE or Disco II SE, they can very well be the same.

94 - 99.4 = Disco series one (at least in the states) they came in SD, SD7, LE, SE, SE7, LE7
the 7 = jump seats in the back.

99.5 = 04 = Disco series two they came in SD, SD7, SE, SE7 and HSE IIRC I may be wrong on the above info, but close...

then in 05 we now have the LR3 or the Discovery 3 everywhere but the states.

Advise... drive several, read alot, and be prepared for poor fuel economy at least compared to say a honda or toyota.

sine mora

Reaction score
Hey Joey... I don't mean to hijack this thread (I think the answer to my question may help the discovery shopper as well)...

How does one know what version (SD, SE, etc.) he is looking at? Is it in the VIN?? I did search for this topic and found nothing. BUT I'm probably just not searching for the right thing...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean by version, as in, you see a D2 on a used lot and you want to know if it is an SD or SE or XX7.

Normally this will be listed on the back door (tailgate) of the vehicle, I can't remember if it is on the right or left off the top of my head, but it should display what model type it is.

and the 7 will be easy, since it will normally have (unless it was removed) the step on the left hand side of the vehicle in the rear.

Flash Cook

Reaction score
Go for it

I'd buy an 03 - 04 Disco. In those years, they've worked out most of the kinks. Also, I would recommend finding a local technician who specializes in Rovers if you can. That made my decision on buying easier.

Jon G.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM