Power steering is making nice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering is making nice.

When I make a right and the engine is not hot or as soon as I start the engine the power steering is making a nice, at two points. But after couple of minutes it stops.
Any feedback is appreciated.....:)

LR DII 54000 Miles 2000

N

NHESS81

What kind of noise? Is it a gurgle, or is it a whine? How hard are you steering to the right? Does it make the noise at all speeds when cold? Do you put it at full-lock, or does it make the noise at any point during the turn regardless of full-lock? Want to help out, but need more info...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the power steering tank full and did you fill it with power steering fluid or the recommend ATF (auto trans fluid)?

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed it at low speeds, and it would only happen when I am starting the engine after a long time (when the engine is cold). You could say its a gurgle sound and it comes 3 times in a right circle. First Circle and the second circle and the last. I don't get that sound when I full lock.
Joey Not sure what it has becz I only got this the beginning of this month.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could very well be the belt is old/loose (i.e. the S-Belt tensioner may need replaced)

I think the first thing I would do is get some lucas Transmission fix and add to the PS tank.. see if this helps.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to drain the power steering oil? If so cane someone help me with some steps to do this, and what PS oil to put.
Thanks guys…..:)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Drain is not real hard, but a complete flush is another thing all together.

Drain, remove the low pressure hose from the tank and watch it drain into a bucket (please put a bucket down there :)

System takes Dextron ATF fluid.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this hose conected to the Steering box or from the Reservoir.
Thank you for the info...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Reservoir.... and while you in there, change out the cheap clamps on the low pressure hoses (not metal hoses) with some good clamps and you will prevent leaks later.

M

mge_1

NHESS81 said:
What kind of noise? Is it a gurgle, or is it a whine? How hard are you steering to the right? Does it make the noise at all speeds when cold? Do you put it at full-lock, or does it make the noise at any point during the turn regardless of full-lock? Want to help out, but need more info...

i have a similar problem. its more like a gargle as soon as i start to turn the wheel to the right. but stops shortly. and this does it for me only at cold starts and low speeds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge