Power steering issue ?? - 00' Disco II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive to work was fine, steering has never been an issue. Start the truck after sitting all day, a VERY cold day (-5 wind chill) and no power steering. No noise, no gurgle, no squeel, no power steering.

Head straight to an auto parts store and look under the bonnet to find bubbling fluid and a rather strong leak from the fluid supply hose to the pump. I thought maybe something froze and cracked the hose.... ?

Replaced the hose, after breaking a coolant hose in the process. Now there's no pressure coming from the PS pump after many, many attemps and fluid being added.

New pump? Do these things just immediately fail without notice? One moment working, the next not? Is it possible the pump was damaged by the below zero temps?

JG

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If there was any water in the system at all, then yes this is possible. Unfortunatly if water was the cause, then the pump is more than likely fried.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that certainly seems to be the case. She has about 77k on the ticker, so I guess it's about time. The pump will get replaced next week, so if there's an update, I'll let you know. It was also a good time to flush the coolant sytem too....

Cheers Joey. Thanks!

J

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Followup - 12/12/06

You were exactly right. The PS pump was the ticket and I presume since it was a failure likely related to the extreme cold, there must have been water in the system somehow. I can be assured at this point, that there's nothing but proper fluid in that system now....

Thanks again.

J

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That is what we are on here for.... trivial knowledge and someone to bounce issues/ideas off of.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635