Ran out of gas, now wont start!?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harryj1

Reaction score
Hey y'all... just gettin started with 98 disco, and already having probs out the gate! prev owner ran it dry on fuel in driveway, now wont start. have been reading about possible fuel pump damage, priming requirements and bleed valves. so, are there any techs here that can verify any of this for me? 98 4 L disco, gas burner....??? Thanks,

Harry J :bandit::albertein

harryj1

Reaction score
well, located fuel pump/sending unit in hidden panel beneath cargo area. Also located the schrader relief valve under hood. No noise from pump when key is turned on nor is there any fuel pressure (or air for that matter) coming from the relief valve when depressed. Checked voltage at fuel pump and am only getting 5.1 VDC at the wiring harness pins. Is that correct or should it be 12 VDC???? Also thinking maybe fuel filter as well. Might as well change it to while I'm at it.... Thanks for any advice ANYONE may have!!!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odds are, the pump has been fried. Have you checked the pump fuse?
If you want some help with this, send me your number and I'll call you tomorrow.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 12v pump. But you may have been testing the fuel level sensor.
The supply for the pump is the WP (white with purple trace) wire.

If it were me, and it has been before, I'd get a couple of lengths of wire and run them from the battery back to the pump. Use an inline 15amp fuse on the pos wire. Use a couple of spade connectors to connect them to the pump being careful they don't touch each other. This is a good setup to have on hand as you can use it for testing other things. Don't skip the fuse though, but you may need to change the size when testing other things.

Connect the pos to the battery then touch the negative to the neg battery post. If the pump runs then you know the issue is somewhere else. If it doesn't, and/or the fuse blows, your pump is shot.

If the pump is good then you need to start checking the rest of the circuit. You can get the ETM (electrical troubleshooting manual) with the RAVE download.

If it is the pump you can buy a complete unit, or just the actual pump at your local auto parts store.
E3270 - Pump
TS7 - Strainer

You may also need a foot of fuel injection hose of the correct size and a couple fuel injection clamps. There are several writeups around about replacing the pump.

harryj1

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Appreciate the replies.. My number is 601-988-8805. That is my mobile and being on call 24-7 is the best way to reach me. Also, have checked the fuse and tested good. What about the relay or inertia switch? Possible? Thanks again everyone!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99