Random Errors, what you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took it to the stealership for an oil change and they did not found anything, they couldn't reproduce the fault and it seems to be absolutely random, if I had not mention it they wouldn't even know about it. It doesn't actually fails, the stupid computer just turns the yellow light on but the suspension works normally.
It drives me mad !!!

bigvalpasha

Reaction score
@bearish driver did you get the problem fixed? I have the yellow suspension going on and off intermittently, only going off road, I turn off the truck and then it resets. But fortunately my suspension doesnt go into limp mode

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
according to the dealership it was a small leak in the dryer of the compressor, they of course offered to change thewhole compressor instead of the dryer, I patched the leak and now get the light WAY less often, I will run the compressor as is until it burns out, then I'll probably swap for coils. AMK compressor sells for about 700 usd on ebay so I might consider it as well.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again...swapping for coils would be a mistake, unless you have zero interest in off-roading, in which case you should just sell the LR3 and get a Cadillac Escalade.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahahah Houm I cannot even believe you've managed to stay clear of issues with it! gosh are you lucky!
Anyhow the Defender, Land Cruiser, Wrangler, Merc's Gclass etc. have all got either axles or coils, I don't think that's a coincidence. Also, the head mechanic at my dealreship told me exactly the opposite, he said that if I go off-road as frequently as I do (2 times a week or more) he recommends swapping for an old man emu suspension as it's way more reliable and cost efficient over the long run, on road drive may be slightly less comfortable but whatever...

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the record I do like the EAS and might just buy the AMK compressor but I hate the fact that there are many parts that can (eventually will) fail like valves, air pipes, and so on...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, don't jinx me! :)

I've had a few issues, like needing to replace an air strut and a sensor along the way but no leaks; that's correct. I think I've swapped a few compressors too, but they never actually had failed.

Anyway, the other rigs you listed are SOLID AXLE....which is a very different set-up than our 4xindi suspension. The knock on indi suspensions is that they don't articulate from one side of the axle to the other. The EAS addresses that with the cross-link valves. I have a picture, not sure if it's small enough for me to upload, I'll try....of that very thing happening. You can see that one wheel getting stuffed forced air into the other side and pushed the other wheel down...like a beam axle. You go coils, you lose that. Sounds like that head mechanic doesn't know $hit.... :)

Attachments

• articulation.jpg
    articulation.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 21

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha I touched wood not to jinx you of course.
replacing an air strut, a sensor and a "few" compressors, hahaha I love how you say that as if it was replacing the windscreen wipers
each air strut costs more than 700 usd in my country (stealership asks for around 1300 usd), the compressor costs another 1400 at least (stealer wants 2200 usd) so swapping a few compressors will sum around 3000 dollars here with an indy.

I understand the land cruiser uses an independent suspension as well.
The head mechanic of course mentioned it, he is not THAT ignorant hahaha the old man emu allows loads of travel according to him. At 700 dollars on ebay I'll probably buy the amk compressor tho.

Anyhow and as a brief story just for the sake of it: last week we went offroading to the local national park and the LR3 performed PERFECTLY wearing latitude tires!! a friend of mine went in his silverado with rancho suspension and lift wearing big duratracs and he had a harder time crossing the river than I did (rocks are EXTREMELY loose in the river bed)!! hahaha I made fun of him for hours :cool:

here's a pic of both vehicles

Attachments

• offroad.jpg
    offroad.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 20

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if anyone doesn't think the LR3 is one bada$$ 4x4, they will get an education on short order when they are on a trail with one.

I understand the cost differences. All my compressor swaps were under warranty. The air strut was probably $850 installed. Sensors are cheap....but this is over a 10 year period, so to me it's not huge and I say it casually; agreed.

I NEVER said that owning/operating an LR3 was inexpensive. Quite the contrary. But I firmly believe ditching the EAS would be a big mistake.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM