Range Rover Getting V6 Supercharged - LR Dropping V8s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't just the max power that changes, it is the entire torque curve and feel. The 5L V8 is pretty fantastic, so I wonder how that force fed v6 feels.

I do think the Disco will have to come back from fat camp before it gets that engine, but at the same time it is a little weird to have a arguably better engine in the disco and not the new RR.

I think I am glad I bought a 13' MY LR4, before some of these changes started happening. Hopefully they prove us wrong and the new engines are fantastic coupled with the weight savings, but I do like the feel of a weighty vehicle and a big v8.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't just the max power that changes, it is the entire torque curve and feel. The 5L V8 is pretty fantastic, so I wonder how that force fed v6 feels.

I do think the Disco will have to come back from fat camp before it gets that engine, but at the same time it is a little weird to have a arguably better engine in the disco and not the new RR.

I think I am glad I bought a 13' MY LR4, before some of these changes started happening. Hopefully they prove us wrong and the new engines are fantastic coupled with the weight savings, but I do like the feel of a weighty vehicle and a big v8.
This is why I am likely getting a new LR4 sometime this fall (late 2013 MY) before they make any changes.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also going to get the '13 LR4 before something big happens. I know the new design won't be around until 2015... but the 2014 might get this V6. I bet it might, especially that someone mentioned that the LR4 will have a better motor than the RR and could take away some sales.

A V6 is a V6... Again, with premium vehicles like these... I can't see a real reason why they had to suddenly drop the V8 for a V6. Or at least... offer a non-super charged V8 by order only.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely agree with Count Lazlo. They will have to come down on price. Unfortunaly from what I see in the market, diesel versions in the US of luxury brands somehow cost more than gasoline versions which actually offsets any saving you can make on fuel consumption even including federal tax incentives. Looks to me that they want to benefit from your potential savings switching to diesel which put consumers on a catch-22 situation. So it would not be surprising for LRNA to keep at least the current price level; watch out if not more and push the V8 as an even more expensive option.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, regardless of power output, you cannot beat the sound of a V8. Even the older Disco II with its V8, although not a powerhouse, was a sweet engine and exhaust note and it always made you feel a little "more" special. A V6 isn't special by any means, regardless. I wouldn't pay 85K for a V6 Range Rover... NO WAY. Or a loaded HSE for 100K plus... V6? Laughable. If Mercedes can offer a GL450 and 550 w/V8, which is produced in numbers much, much higher than RR, and in the same price range, why can't Land Rover? I don't buy the BS V6 excuses... sorry.

The reason that Mercedes is able to offer larger engines is that their CAFE numbers include much smaller vehicles to offset the small number of heavyweights like the GL450 and 550. Land Rover does't get the benefits of averaging in smaller cars when their sales are heavily geared to the LR4 and Range Rover models.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason that Mercedes is able to offer larger engines is that their CAFE numbers include much smaller vehicles to offset the small number of heavyweights like the GL450 and 550. Land Rover does't get the benefits of averaging in smaller cars when their sales are heavily geared to the LR4 and Range Rover models.

I understand this, but that's what the Evoque is for and next gen LR2. And they're breaking sales records with the Evoque.

Well, losing the standard V8 is going to **** Range Rover sales here in the US. Hmmm, I could spend 100K for a V6 Range Rover or 100K for a Mercedes GL63... or, maybe for $15K less, for a GL550. Or, for a few pennies more, a Mercedes G-wagon... All of which have V8s.

See where this is going?

CAFE is going to really hurt LR... maybe that's why they want to move manufacturing out of the UK... LR should get some sort of slack because they do not produce anywhere near the numbers of other manufacturers.

This won't apply if they're out of the EU...

I know the world is changing quickly and the gas engine is on a downward trend... but it's not the end yet... geez.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 V8 is nice. And the sales guys would not stop talking about it as a competitive advantage the entire time. There is no way LR puts in the V6 on the last year of production on heavy vehicle that is about to lose hundreds of pounds the following year. As a mechanical design engineer, I can tell you that's way too much risk. They already have (at least perceived) quality/reliability issues, so why force it for just one year? Let the RR iron out the bugs, if any, before you put it in the LR4.

I am not in the market until summer time, but I wish I hope to see more info on the 2015 (size, cargo space, weight, etc) by then. I would not be against holding off for another year or two with a used LR4 or other car.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in that camp too. As much as I really want a new LR4 with the V8, I would go nuts if the 2015 ends up being 800lbs lighter, with vertically adjustable lumbar support and the 3.0 liter diesel. With CAFE coming, as noted, they kind of have too. I'm enjoying my 2008 RRS S\C more than I thought I would - glorious torque, so I'll extend its tenure to fill the gap between LR?'s.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4