Range rover p38 1997 engine does not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat3d

Reaction score
First of all, as I'm new in the forum, I would like to say hello to everybody.

I have a problem on my range rover p38 1997. My engine doesn't want to start.

It seems like a alarm problem, but not sure. I don't have any message telling that my vehicle is immobilized.

I have tried everything I've found on the internet as advice, use the remote, to lock and unlock, use the key on the driver door to reset the alarm, etc...

The only thing that works, is to disconnect the battery, then put the key on position 2, reconnect the battery and then start the engine.

Land Rover told me that I have to change the Becm. (1800$)

Recently, I've had a cable changed in the driver door, because I couldn't open the door from the inside, the motor of the passenger window has been changed, and the switch panel where are all the switches to open the windows has been changed too.

When I got my car back, the engine was starting fine.

The only thing I have made after that, is to program the homelink. Since then, the engine refuses to start. I don't know if this is related or not.

Thanks in avance for your help.

Pat3d

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
How old is the battery? you may just a battery going bad.

pat3d

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm gonna try that. The battery seems old (I bought my car in mid 2007 and don't if it has been changed before).

Thanks for your help.

I'll let you know.

Pat3d

pat3d

Reaction score
Hello,

I have put a new battery, but it's still the same.

What is weird, is that I could close the doors, put the alarm on and off, and the engine was starting, until I closed the hood. Since then the same problem occurs.

I hope I'm gonna find a solution, because changing the becm is so expensive.

Thanks,

Pat3d

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be the hood sensors.

pat3d

Reaction score
Hello Joey,

The engine is starting now. Maybe I did'nt wait any longer for the becm to synchronize, when I tried to start it yesterday.

Anyway, it was just a dead battery.

If I had to follow Land rover advices, I had to change the becm. They are not mechanics, they are just part changers.

Thanks again for your help, I saved a lot of dollars.

Pat3d

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM