Range Rover Studders at Start Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kornfed

Reaction score
I have a 2003 range rover with 109K miles on it. It has been a great car. Only thing I have had to do is the alternator at 105K and that was just because my local dealer couldn’t figure out why my battery kept draining. I looked on the site and found the information about the connector on the back of the AC unit and I pointed them to it. They stated that issue was only on 2004 models, but I am here to tell you, it is also on the 2003. Other than this issue, my RR has been perfect. Just lucky I guess.

Here is my new issue: the truck feels like it is at about 30% power and then all of a sudden it surges to 100%. Very strange feeling. After 30 seconds the car runs fine. My local dealer is absolutely useless, so I am trying to reach out. The dealer has spent no less than 20 days trying to figure it out. They have done fuel rails, plugs, coils, ECM, injector service, both fuel pumps and the idle settings. They stated it may need a new transmission. I cannot imagine that is the case. The Truck runs perfect after 30 seconds of driving on or off road.

I wanted to see if anyone has ever heard of such an issue. Rangerover.net had a similar issue, but it was while on an extreme incline and stated it was a sensor in the radiator. I have not replaced the radiator and I do have a rattle from the catalytic converter. Before I go down the road with these issues I wanted to reach out. Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated. If I do find a fix for it, I will send you an update of course. Save someone else having to rebuild their entire fuel and ignition systems. AUGH!:mad:

Thanks,

Dave

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Does it feel like the engine will not rev or just no power to the wheels?

If the engine isn't revving, does it act the same out of gear as in gear?

kornfed

Reaction score
it just won't rev and then all of a sudden 100% power. No slipping or reving going on. Any ideas?

kornfed

Reaction score
And yes it does it in and out of gear. Sorry missed that part.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds almost like a fuel issue... I know you said they changed the fuel pump, but still sounds like a fuel issue.

Does this happen every time your start or just from cold start.. i.e. if you start, drive 10 miles shut down and start again within a minute and start off again does it do the same issue?

kornfed

Reaction score
The car needs to sit for about 2 hours for it to happen again. It does feel like a fuel issue, but it also feels like the ECU is cutting out the fuel. Kind of like when you are on ice and the traction control kicks in. On the fuel front, the dealer has replace everything except the fuel tank. From pumps to fuel rails. The strange thing is, that it only happens for about 30 seconds and then off it goes. I might try replacing the radiator. I know that sound stupid, but someone in the UK had a similar issue and it was related to a sensor in the radiator. Unfortunately the sensor is inside the radiator. Let me know if you have any other ideas? Do you think it could be caused by a bad Catalytic? Totally stumped.

Thanks,

Dave

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a bad Cat... if it was, then your issues would happen after it was warm, you would lose power...

I am not going to say I know for sure on this one... If it were mine, I would get a good Laptop OBDII scanner and plug it in... start it up, and drive with every sensor being recorded, you should see the issue.

That is my thoughts.

kornfed

Reaction score
I have a scanner. I will hook it up and see what it comes up with. I will let you know.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112