Rasta vs Mantec under bumper skid plate??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which under bumper skid plate should I go with?:confused:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mantec one it tougher, covers more, and looks better to me (and apparently to Land Rover as well, since it is the one they sell in their accessories catalogue.) If you get it from Mantec, it will cost you a few hundred less than getting it from a dealer. However, you can only get the winch model in the US from the dealers. For the non-winch one, Rovers North is the exclusive distributor. Or you can try to buy it from a European dealer online and have them ship it. But that's going to cost you more. At least that's how it worked out when I got mine. Here are some recent pictures.
DSC_0594.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boaz, that top pic is a really sharp looking photo of your rig; very nice.

Curious, why did you get the under bumper skid and not the rest of the (Rasta) skid plates? My biggest concern was the T-case area but did the engine one too. I have yet to do the bumper one and probably won't until the next time I lose the plastic thingy that is currently there.

...of course I say that but will probably convince myself to get it by next month!

I would want to paint it black though.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any of the Rasta plates. Still looking into who has the best underbody protection besides what I've already got, which is only the Mantec front one and the RS Sliders. I like the look of the aluminum against the black. To each his own.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, to each his own....as for the Rasta skids under the truck; I know they make me feel a lot better! I look under my truck and feel like there's nothing that could "get me." I know that if I drove like crap there are still exposed areas (air tank for EAS, gas tank, etc) but for the most part it's as flat as a bowling shoe under there and I'd have to get pretty creative to do damage. ....and it would have to be on some pretty odd-shaped rocks, too!

Trynian

Reaction score
Boaz, that top pic is a really sharp looking photo of your rig; very nice.

Curious, why did you get the under bumper skid and not the rest of the (Rasta) skid plates? My biggest concern was the T-case area but did the engine one too. I have yet to do the bumper one and probably won't until the next time I lose the plastic thingy that is currently there.

...of course I say that but will probably convince myself to get it by next month!

I would want to paint it black though.

The only Rasta plate you can use with the mantec under bumper sump guard that is in the photo is the Rasta transfer case plate.

The under engine rasta plate needs to be altered quite a bit to fit.

The Mantec plate is thicker and covers more area then the Rasta under bumper plate.

Trynian

Reaction score
Yep, to each his own....as for the Rasta skids under the truck; I know they make me feel a lot better! I look under my truck and feel like there's nothing that could "get me." I know that if I drove like crap there are still exposed areas (air tank for EAS, gas tank, etc) but for the most part it's as flat as a bowling shoe under there and I'd have to get pretty creative to do damage. ....and it would have to be on some pretty odd-shaped rocks, too!

The most vulnerable areas under the car are the fuel tank which hangs lower then most other areas and the air compressor.

The RS sliders take care of the compressor.

It doesn't take much to mess up the tank. Several friends have already replaced theirs with no creativity at all, lol!

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....is that the compressor itself or an air tank?

Yeah the RS sliders are something on my list. I think I'd go Rasta for the under-bumper just because I already have the Rasta skids the rest of the way AFT. I also have running boards...they are re-enforced. They are not sliders by any means, but they might protect that compressor or tank a little bit. It seemed to me that the tank was tucked up inside the rocker panel and/or frame rail pretty good.

...and that gas tank has some protection, doesn't it? I know it isn't a legit skid plate, but really; it seems like you'd have to bang it pretty good.

Did your several friends replace their fuel tanks or their air tanks?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo