Rattling, clunk, squeal from fr. left wheel area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chamilun

Reaction score
It's probably the wheel bearing. Not to difficult to replace.

But very likely could be the prop shaft. Jack up the wheel and get under the car and rotate the wheel front and back. If you hear a click, it's bad

CJ O

Reaction score
I have this intermittent sound more noticeable at low speeds that sounds like a loose piece of sheet metal rattling but seems to be affected by the wheels speed. At very low idle crawl it sounds like brakes squeaking, and there's the occasional clunking sound going up hill and turning.... Would this be a wheel bearing or axle shaft scenario? It seems louder and more pronounced now that I removed the wheel to inspect it.

Some other thoughts were that it could be those goofy lug nuts rattling or maybe the tire pressure sensor broke and fell off in the tire??? haha I'm grasping at anything at this point

Absolutely sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Replacing the wheel hub assembly is the most cost-effective solution.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Replacing the wheel hub assembly is the most cost-effective solution.
I had a similar problem a few years ago on my 2005. Swapped out the hub and sound went away.

Two bears

Reaction score
well, thats what I was leaning towards then the other day the sound went away. So I'm thinking it might have been a rock in the dust shield. I jacked up the front end and theres was the slightest play in the bearing so I'm sure the hubs and bearings are due to be swapped soon...
Let me share , my latest front hub story ( replaced both front hubs, 3 yrs ago). So I bought a upgrade brake set ( slotted/ drilled ceramic pads sensor wire clips on e-bay $205.00 , weather didn’t allow me to install , i had shop in Salem do the work. When i picked up Rig. Mech’ said “ noise in front right. They wanted $600.00 to replace Hub. I just dumped $600.00 , brake work & transmission service ( Atlantic Brit.) upgrade kit. So I drove it home, slow 15 miles to home. Only drove in town , short distance. Ordered hub $50.00 Amazon. O’reilly’s 4 a couple MM sockets $30.00 . When i took Rotor off, on inside of it , there is a score from ,the one rivet on back shield . Pad also was scored! I’ve found out Atlantic -Brit. Considers Hubs a regular maintenance item. In closing i was sick , from the damage! I put it back together, ordered new Rotor, e -bay . The worn hub is warranty’d so i’ll get new hub O’Reilly’s, install in right side, even though it’s ok! Preventive ?

Two bears

Reaction score
Let me share , my latest front hub story ( replaced both front hubs, 3 yrs ago). So I bought a upgrade brake set ( slotted/ drilled ceramic pads sensor wire clips on e-bay $205.00 , weather didn’t allow me to install , i had shop in Salem do the work. When i picked up Rig. Mech’ said “ noise in front right. They wanted $600.00 to replace Hub. I just dumped $600.00 , brake work & transmission service ( Atlantic Brit.) upgrade kit. So I drove it home, slow 15 miles to home. Only drove in town , short distance. Ordered hub $50.00 Amazon. O’reilly’s 4 a couple MM sockets $30.00 . When i took Rotor off, on inside of it , there is a score from ,the one rivet on back shield . Pad also was scored! I’ve found out Atlantic -Brit. Considers Hubs a regular maintenance item. In closing i was sick , from the damage! I put it back together, ordered new Rotor, e -bay . The worn hub is warranty’d so i’ll get new hub O’Reilly’s, install in right side, even though it’s ok! Preventive ?
Oops this is on ‘06 Lr3 & it was left Hub that i replaced. One thing i don’t understand is why didn’t the rotor , that was on ( old ) get damaged? The worn Hub , didn’t have alot of play , also? Onward

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM