Rear A/C... How does it work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the rear a/c works? I was just wondering as temps have been over 100 for a couple of days here in NYC, and the truck does a pretty good job of keeping cool.

I see water dripping from the front and rear of the truck, so I'm guessing there is an evaporator in the rear as well as the front.

But I'm assuming only one compressor. I guess I could pop the hood and look around, but where are the refrigerant lines run to get to the rear? Seems like a long way to run refrigerant... They do a good job of keeping cool.

Thanks.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is some lines in the passenger sider rear wheel well, people move them in order to prevent bigger (like 32"s) from rubbing through the plastic and disturbing (and possibly rupturing) the lines... No idea about anything else about the anatomy of the system though. I would assume only one compressor as well.

And I the LR3 does have pretty kick ass A/C, one of things I'm loving about the rig in this heat wave

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I the LR3 does have pretty kick ass A/C, one of things I'm loving about the rig in this heat wave

Same here... We keep the hound in the rear, and an infant + toddler in the second row.

I close off some of the 2nd row vents, but leave the cargo area ones wide open. I run the rear A/C full rich, and everyone is happy. The dog gets blasted, and the second row stays nice and cool.

Great system, and I love how flexible it is. Thats what got me thinking as to how it actually worked. :)

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THe lines in the passenger rear fender (in harms way of 32" tires are only heater hoses). Sorry, I dont know where the hard A/C lines run, but agreed they are doing a great job!

cool as a cucumber!

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best trick is to rotate the 2nd row headliner vent towards you (driver). You get a nice neck blast of cold air.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best trick is to rotate the 2nd row headliner vent towards you (driver). You get a nice neck blast of cold air.

Nice, I'll have to try that.

It took me awhile to notice the vent directly underneath the steering wheel. Works great at keeping the nuggets cool. :cool:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, I'll have to try that.

It took me awhile to notice the vent directly underneath the steering wheel. Works great at keeping the nuggets cool. :cool:

Specially if you close all the other vents and turn the fan on high!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99