Rear Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed the fluids in my Front, Rear diff along with my Transfer case. When I drained my rear diff it had a considerable amount of water in the fluid. Looked like Chocolate milk. I checked the breather tubes and am at a lose as to how the water got in. Any ideas? I also just made a 100 mile trip after changing the fluids and noticed my Rear diff was extremely hot to the touch. I cannot find any info on operating temps and I am just curious if this is normal. Thanks guys. Cheers! - Michael

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the fluid again, either you didn't get all the water out or you have washed some bearings and may have a failure very soon.
Either way, I would have a mechanic check it out prior to any more issues happening with it.
Let us know what they find.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the same diff as a straight axle disco. I didn't flush the diff at all. Just drained and refilled. So I am not sure how I could have flushed any bushings. Should the diff give off no heat?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo