Recovery Points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I spent $100 at bputah for the wiring, bought the hitch for $250 used. And you're not in for any surprise, I think jpl just meant you cant stick a recovery hitch into the stock 'hole' in the LR3, you need the receiver.

wow, you're right. bputah has the wiring harness for $95, and it looks like the genuine one.

LR3GuyJoe

Reaction score
I'd recommend using the recovery point behind the cover on the rear instead of the hitch/shackle adapter.

First reason being the hitch hangs down so low and at an akward angle that its pretty prone to getting hung up on stuff.

Second reason being for safety, what are the load ratings on those adapters? and the load rating on the hitch is like 7700lbs. Yanking on a ~6000lb vehicle stuck in the mud will result in forces well over the 7700lb rating of the hitch.

Millerman

Reaction score
So picked up the truck today. Just awsome. So happy. They want 1200 for a hitch install so I will be looking at some other hitch options for sure.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So picked up the truck today. Just awsome. So happy. They want 1200 for a hitch install so I will be looking at some other hitch options for sure.

What hitch were they going to install?

If you're looking just to tow (on-road), the factory tow-bar should be fine for most situations inside the factory limits. And a 3/4" shackle + strap works fine with the rear recovery point.

It seems that in regards to towing, the tongue weight is the limiting factor.

Lots of info via the search function on towing (and tires) as well.

LR3GuyJoe

Reaction score
now that looks preety usefull!

Yeah its pretty nice but I can only imagine that the tounge load rating on that has to be a lot less than the factory hitch since it's much farther from the moment than the factory hitch.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Mitchellbros hitch
Ummm....nice idea but six hundred and thirty frickin dollars?

monocam

Reaction score
I spoke with Mitchell Bros and this hitch maintains the 3500kg towing capacity. If you tow seriously offroad the standard hitch just doesnt work. I was on Moreton Island over christmas towing my off road trailer and the guys behind me were having a dig at me cause I was digging another trench crossing middle road.

$600 bucks, big deal for piece of mind

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ngomac