Remove Paint on Door Handle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellamo

Reaction score
Got a little close to one of the yellow cement poles in a parking garage the other day and rubbed the mirror and door handle. Now there's yellow paint (and scratch) on both. Anyone have a suggestion on how to remove that from the door handle and side mirror?

Soap and water somem elbow grease do NOT work. Believe me, I have the sore elbow to prove it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Learth

Reaction score
Try Xenit spray. They use it at Detailing shops. It works well, but for this you'll have to put some more elbow grease into it. You can order it on Amazon.com I believe.

MST

Reaction score
Try WD-40. Carb cleaner will melt the door handle:biggrin:

GreyMatter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try WD-40. Carb cleaner will melt the door handle:biggrin:

no it wont, there are far more delicate parts in a carb than what the door handle is made out of.

but yes wd-40 works too

MST

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't being literal but just thinking the carb cleaner may discolor a black door handle.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why mess with carb cleaner anyway? Or WD 40 for that matter, both have oil in them that certainly won't help get the paint off. You could use either I suppose, but wash with soapy water right after just to be safe. Or you could just use mineral spirits or kerosene.

Learth

Reaction score
Use the Xenit. It works and is intended for this purpose.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a clay bar. This will take it off. My sister hit a yellow bollard as you describe with her LX470 and I took the yellow paint off of the back plastic bumper and fender with little trouble using a clay bar. Plus, it's a piece of detailing equipment you will find useful in the future as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM