Removing factory extended roof rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone has experience with this?

One would think fairly simple, however I had to make some adjustments with my extended rails (I forgot to tighten down one of the hex screws) and experienced two areas to watch out for:

1. I tried to remote the front trim "cap" on one side and decided against it because it would not snap free. I felt that if I injected more force with any object whether plastic or metal, it could potentially warp/damage the cap.

2. The small round caps (6 per side?) that cover the hex screws are astonishingly difficult to remove. I had to remove one and marred the metal hole trying to get just one off. I always wondered how easy it would be for a thief to uninstall one of these -- but it made me realize that these little caps are actually designed to somehow prevent theft; if a thief can get these off, more power to 'em. I tried 4 different tools: two non-marring plastic (and broke one), 1 mini screw driver, 1 paint can cover remover tool. Turned out that a combination of using a mini flat screw driver to get underneath the cap and "start it", then inserting the paint can cover remover tool to pull up on the cap. The cap will go flying, but it worked.

Hope this helps. It's a b*tch.

If someone has a better tool to remove these little round caps, please share!!!

Last edited:

Disco4Play

Reaction score
When I installed my roof rack those black capped inserts were a pain! I got all of them except 2 out. I had 2 that the head broke off. It's almost impossible to dig the rest out after they've broken off. Good luck!

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, the round caps are impossible to remove without breaking the tabs...which is what happened. other than that, it is pretty straight forward. the rails are off now and the new rack is on :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM