Replacement Shocks/Steering damper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to replace the shocks and steering damper (?) on my '97 Disco I. Are Gabriel, Monroe etc. suitable replacements? Only do mild off-road excursions. :help:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Mild off road, you can use what ever you want, but my preference (I am sure everyone on here has their own opinion), Bilsteins for on road - Old Man EMU for off road. Personally I off road, but tend to drive more on road and run Bilsteins for shocks and I have and Old Man EMU steering Damper... Probably getting time to change mine again, and I will probably stay with the same.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply. When I was racing off-road in a class 2 and 10 buggy, we used Bilsteins. Not really familiar with the Old Man EMU units. I guess my question should have been is it worth the price differential, like 2:1, for my application? Also priced Pro-Comps, which are in the mid-range between bilsteins and your average shock like Gabriels or Monroes.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess this would be more of a personal question. I personally always upgrade when I change something out if an upgrade is possible. Price doesn't always mean it is better, but is most cases you do get what you pay for.

I have heard good things about the pro-comps as well.

I haven't or at least I don't recall hearing anyone using Gabriels or Monroes, but that doesn't mean they will not work well.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered pro-comp ES9000 series shocks and a ES3000 steering damper for my 98 from 4wheelparts.com and only payed about $225

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo