replaciing ignition switch lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever replaced the ignition switch lock??? There are two shear bolts holding the ignition switch to the steering column and I dont know if I should cut them off or is there a tool that can remove them.

My whole slot where the key goes in to the igntion basically disintigrated. It all came out when I removed the key. So I bought a new switch with new key. The bracket on the replacement has bolts that I will be able to wratchet down to connect the switch to the column but the old one has what looks like two rivets holding the bracket to the switch on the column.

Do I cut the bracket off with my sawsall or is there any kind of tool that can remove them.

THANKS!!!

BTW, the $94 fuel pump motor that I bought on Ebay works perfectly but I have to start the disco with a screwdriver until I can replace the ignition switch.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never Mind

Got the shear bolts off very easily with a needle nose vice grip. They weren't even that tightt. One turn with the needle nose then they unscrewed with my fingers.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done!

The ignition replacement was too easy. I cant help but feel that I did something wrong because nothing is ever easy on a Disco.

Well it's on to the next project-rotors and calipers-which I have put off for too long.

aemnky606

Reaction score
i took a cold chisel and a hammer and a few tap she came off. i went to local auto store and got a $10 4-way ignition switch and wired it in and works like a charm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo