replacing brake pads on 99 Disco II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitepr

Reaction score
How do I replace the brake pads on a 99 Disco II? The LR dealer here in town wants $440 to replace them and I believe I can order the parts from atlanticbritish for around $200 for all 4. The rotors seem fine...no metal on metal or any vibration under the pedal.

Thanks.

D

discomike

How many miles on the truck, is this the first or second barke job, do your brakes pulsate when stopping hard???
The barkes are easy to do and you will need to flush the fluid to get a firmer pedal afterwards.
Mike J.

whitepr

Reaction score
The truck has 85K on it. This will be the second time doing the brakes. The first time was at the dealer with 30K on it. I didn't think they needed to be done, but they did them anyway with the 30K service. The brakes don't pulsate when stopping hard. I had a dealer fix my water pump about 8K ago because I was in a pinch and I was told that my pads only had about 20% or less left on them. I figured it was getting close by now. I've never done any work on brakes so I'm pretty much clueless with doing the work myself. However, I'm tired of paying the dealer a fortune every time they touch my car, which is certainly more often these days. How can I tell how much is left now? When should I change them?

Thanks Discomike

D

discomike

Hey, it is not just the dealers, all the shops are getting way expensive, the independent Rover/Jag. shop I use is charging $110 an hour and the dealer is $120.
Anyway, at your mileage, without even measuring them, I can tell you your rotors are undersized. If you were going to do it right, I would suggest you go to Atlantic British or Rovers North and buy yourself one of the rotor/pads combinations and change them out. Remember, you get what you pay for, don't buy the cheaper pads, they are noisey, dusty and they don't stop as well.
When I did mine I wanted more stopping power and went to DBA, slotted and drilled rotors with kevlar pad, hugh difference in stopping power.
If you do the pads you only need a couple sockets or open end wrenches a pair of channel locks, and a impact driver with a philips head. Which ever way you go make sure you buy 3 pints of DOT 4 brake fluid so you can flush the brakes afterwards.
If you decide to do them buy the stuff and get back to me, I'll walk you through it.
By the way Atlantic British is having a sale on pads and rotors right now.
Mike J.

whitepr

Reaction score
I took my car by a local mechanic that I trust and it looks as if I had the front rotors/pads done not too long ago. I don't recall doing it, but he said the front look pretty new still. He did say that the rear pads need to be replaced and the rotors could go either way. So, I'll do the rear job completely. I get the parts and get back to you on it. Thanks for the help.

D

discomike

No problem, just remembber to get the better brake pads, and don't forget the fluid.
Mike J.

D

discomike

Two thought, you have picked good pads and their best rotors. You really don't want to mix slotted rotors with factory rotors, it will throw your stoppnig off.
You need to use 4 of the same style rotors be it slotted or the factory style vented rotors.
If you go slotted, use their kevlar pads, they are out of this world when it comes to stopping. If you stay with the standard vented rotors, the pads you picked are your best chaice.
Hate to throw a monkey wrench into your order.
Take care and stay in touch,
Mike J.

whitepr

Reaction score
no no, I appreciate the help. This is the stuff I need to know. I'm trying to learn to do this stuff now that my rover is getting older. I keep telling my wife I'm going to drive it forever, so that could be expensive if I don't do this stuff myself!

D

discomike

Well, you are going in the right direction, shout if you have a problem, there is always someone out here that can help.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge