Replacing Center Muffler with generic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the Rotoflex Coupler now I notice that a hole and corrosion at the front connection point of the center muffler (not the one at the tail pipe). It's starting to make noise. Right now I don't want to spend hundreds to replace this.

Can I buy a generic muffler from autozone or somewhere as a replacement? Or do I have to spend the big bucks to get an actual replacement muffler made for my Disco?

97 Disco SE. 130k miles.

Thanks,

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a $15 glass pack on mine... does that help?

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Misic to my ears. Thanks Joey

Is there a particular size I should request or can I just buy one and use extenders and/or fittings?

Thanks again,

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't remember if it is 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipe for the muffler, just measure how long you need and the pipe size and swing by your local autoparts store and tell them what you need.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be just a hair over 2 1/4", I have a Borla cat back only reason got it was on sale once.
Had the muffler fail tooks several months with Visa bill and warranty and they still said I made warranty copies off a printer and the muffler came from a wrecking yard.
Attorney later plus a letter to the son of the Borla family I had to purchase another muffler until they received the old one. Sounded like 4 cups of 1/2" rocks rattling inside. They have a 4% failure rate by their engineers. I got a replacement after fighting them for 3 1/2 months. It drones around 2,400 rpm's until above 74 mph or below 50 in 5th then goes silent. Sounds cool when ya get on it, this is a 95 D1 with a cam and chip 4.6 with 5 speed. If it were me I would have the old flange forward of the muffler cut off and welded to a Magnaflow muffler so you can unbolt not have a welded one piece mess for easy repair work later on should the exhaust must be removed. I would add a flange on the back of the muffler also plus anti-seize all exhaust bolts with high temp nickel base anti-seize paste.OEM cats are a restrictive POS, a big difference when I changed mine out the stealers dropped the cat exhaust system breaking the cats inside but prove it when it rattled under warranty. The metal joint half flanges were freshly bent over, no way by off roading plus a street vehicle only.
A little exhaust sound is nice but not stupid loud it will get old fast, sounds better on a 5 speed than an automatic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo