Resolution: Leaky 06 LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following up to an earlier post I made. 06 LR3, 98k miles

My girl began marking her territory underneath the front part of the truck behind the rear of the engine bay, fluid was pooling in the center of the front cross-member and dripping onto the floor. During an oil change it looked like tranny fluid was pooling on the bolts fastening the transmission pan. I initially thought it would have been the tranny pan seal.

After bringing it to an indie shop, the 'Mechatronics Sleeve' on the upper part of the tranny had a worn seal that caused the leak - replacement cost $20. While he was at it, I had him flush the tranny and replace the transmission pan/filter assembly and replace with new fluid. The part was around $180 and the tranny fluid was $30. No more dripping and the truck shifts much more smoothly, especially on California stops.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it was $20 for the complete R&R of the sleeve? Or is that the part cost? Sounds like a good pre-emptive move for me!

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sleeve part cost was $20. The labor for the whole job was a little less than 5 hours @$85/hour. I had him do the tranny pan because the electrical sleeve required him to pull the pan off anyway, and at close to 100k miles without changing the fluid, I figured it was due. The funny thing is I understood the transmission to be a closed system without need of servicing, but it's a Rover so I guess that doesn't mean much. I also learned it's a BMW transmission which I did not know.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call on doing it all at once. Yeah the "sealed for life" farce was de-bunked a long time ago. It's a ZF Transmission. Perhaps used also by BMW, but not made by them.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZF 6HP26 was used in early 7 series BMW and our transmission pan is shared with early X5.

armybuck041

Reaction score
Following up to an earlier post I made. 06 LR3, 98k miles

My girl began marking her territory underneath the front part of the truck behind the rear of the engine bay, fluid was pooling in the center of the front cross-member and dripping onto the floor. During an oil change it looked like tranny fluid was pooling on the bolts fastening the transmission pan. I initially thought it would have been the tranny pan seal.

After bringing it to an indie shop, the 'Mechatronics Sleeve' on the upper part of the tranny had a worn seal that caused the leak - replacement cost $20. While he was at it, I had him flush the tranny and replace the transmission pan/filter assembly and replace with new fluid. The part was around $180 and the tranny fluid was $30. No more dripping and the truck shifts much more smoothly, especially on California stops.

Carry on.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the $30 for tranny fluid. A single quart of of ZF Lifegard6 is approx $20. I ended up using almost 8 quarts to perform dialysis on mine. It would be worth checking your paperwork to see what they put back in your tranny. Run of the mill ATF and the ZF tranny don't play well together.

nickcaraux

Reaction score
How long did you own your LR3 before you had to have pan/filter assembly and fluid replaced? Anyway, looks like they did a good job sealing off the leak, good to hear.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Army- correct, they put the right amount in.

Nick- I bought the truck at 60k miles and now have shy of 100k.

armybuck041

Reaction score
Army- correct, they put the right amount in.

Nick- I bought the truck at 60k miles and now have shy of 100k.

My concern was not the amount, but rather what type of oil. $30 for tranny fluid doesn't compute. That should be somewhere in $100-$150 range and even then a bargain. It's your tranny, but I'd be asking them some hard questions as to what they put back into your rig.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM