Retrofit Locking Rear Differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mtice

Does anyone know if a non-heavyduty package LR3 can be readily retrofitted with the locking rear differential? I'm assuming that actual differential is the same and that it's just the locker that must be added. Is this prewired and does the terrain response system recognized it once it's connected? Thanks

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As with all factory options, "no" -- if you are brave, have a willing service department to attempt an unsupported retrofit, and have a good bit of extra cash to spend on parts & labor... have a go at it. ;)

M

mtice

May well be, but do you know what's really involved - see questions in original post. In other words, if I did not have the window sticker in my hands or the ability to look at the off-road display on the nav, how could I tell if I was dealing with a rear-diff-lock equipped unit when laying under the unit looking at the differential?

F

Freeflytim

What grommet said.
None of us here know exactly what would be involved. I also think that your dealer service department wouldn't have a clue either.
Easiest route would be to trade it now for what you should have bought!
Other than that, welcome to the club!

N

Nomad

I know it sounds foolish but I am going to venture into this. I bought my LR3 without the HD package and find it to do very well without it compared to the heavily modded (ARB Lockers) Discos in my club. My dealership seems willing to look into it and if it works I will report. As of right now all I know is that it could get expensive.

Nomad

Grendal_Fly

Reaction score
mtice said:
May well be, but do you know what's really involved - see questions in original post. In other words, if I did not have the window sticker in my hands or the ability to look at the off-road display on the nav, how could I tell if I was dealing with a rear-diff-lock equipped unit when laying under the unit looking at the differential?

Even if you can access the off-road display I don't think you can tell.
I have a non-HD HSE and my off-road display show lockers on both the center and rear.

D

dry_fly

I too am curious... I have an 05 SE with the HD package, but with no Nav. How can I tell if I truely have the HD package with the rear locker?

L

lr3junkie

dry_fly said:
I too am curious... I have an 05 SE with the HD package, but with no Nav. How can I tell if I truely have the HD package with the rear locker?

Do you have a full size spare? The HD package includes it as well as the diff.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dry_fly said:
To truly tell, get under the truck and take a look @ the rear diff. The locker is electrically operated. On vehicle with locking diff, the rear rear axle will have a housing with wiring bolted to it.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a cut away view. The locker mechanism is on top
image1.jpg

Go here for the rest of the images:
http://www.cutawaycreations.com/IMAGES/car4/gallery4.html

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members