Roof Basket/Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silmarillion

Reaction score
Do y'all have any recommendations on a roof basket/rack? I can't find any good comparison review of front runner vs Baja vs voyager. Sorry if this is a repeat thread - didn't see anything definitive.

Would you buy direct or go through a reseller?

I'm leaning towards the front runner slimline 2.

Thanks for the help! 2006 LR3 (loving it!)

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was originally thinking Front Runner slimline, but was told it would not hold up, the Baja is indestructable.. So I guess it depends on your use for it.. I have been happy with the Baja.. You can order direct or through resellers such as Lucky8 or British 4x4 outfitters.

Silmarillion

Reaction score
I'm thinking resellers would be more likely to offer sales.

I'll be putting coolers on there for catering, and hopefully getting it loaded up for some outdoor adventures too.

How is the install on the Baja? Which version did you pick?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not plan on a roof top tent, then get the standard one.. If you do, get the one that has a flat back part.. You could still do a RTT on the standard one, it would just be higher. Call Justin or Josh respectively they'll give you a good deal.

I have lots of pictures of it if you want, drop me a PM e/mail and I'll send you some pictures.

Here is the standard one http://www.bajarack.com/br-lr-lr3-1-0

The installation is fairly simple. I did a cut out for the two mounts over the front, there is a post built in to bolt the front mounts too. There are 4 rear mounts, 2 bolts on rack side and 2 bolts on rail side for each. It's very straightforward. The trickiest thing is getting it straight.. I don't know that I ever really did, but it's close enough.

The front design lent itself well to a 40" light bar, solar panel. Not too much additional wind noise or stress on them because the deflector seems to push air above them.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of the Baja rack, and a roof rack looks to be something I can benefit from, as I typically have at least one seat in the 3rd row up and in use.

I've read that the supports for a roof rack are not as sturdy on the LR3 as on previous Discos?

I'd love to put some weight up there, the spare, some jerry cans and then camping gear, so let's say ~200lbs?

Not sure if this is a good idea though.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was originally thinking Front Runner slimline, but was told it would not hold up, the Baja is indestructable.. So I guess it depends on your use for it.. I have been happy with the Baja.. You can order direct or through resellers such as Lucky8 or British 4x4 outfitters.

Whaaaaat? Really? I have a bunch of Front Runner gear and can attest that it is very high quality stuff. I can't imagine it "not standing up", though I've only had my rack for a year and a half. I also can't imagine that Front Runner wouldn't stand behind their product if something was seriously wrong with it. The fit and finish on their rack is really quite good.

That being said, I have nothing against Baja and they seem to be great racks as well. The reason I went with Front Runner is because of the modular accessories that they sell. It makes adding farkles that much easier and actually helps quite a bit even when I'm customizing mounts for weird items.

As far as weight up on top... 200lbs is no problem whatsoever. I don't know how the Baja mounts, but my Front Runner replaces the Land Rover rails with their own full length rails. These mount to the LR3 frame in (IIRC) 3-4 mounting locations per side. The feet of the rack then attach to the rails and it's quite a sturdy setup.

Oh, and as far as the Voyager stuff... I would definitely skip it. I've continued to read terrible things about the quality of their racks and sliders. Rust has been a major issue for some and I personally have tried to contact them a couple of times with questions about sliders and received no response. If they don't want to give a response to questions in order to sell a product, just think about how willing they will be after they sell you the product if you have issues.

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem... appreciate the comments. I'm sure either one would be great depending on your preferred style.

The rails seem to be rock solid to me..

Silmarillion

Reaction score
I'm going with the Front Runner Slimline II - thanks for the replies y'all!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72