Roof Racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

JJABKW

First, allow me to comment about what a great board this is, very informative with great input.

Second, I have been hunting around for safari racks for my 05 LR3. I have looked at the LR expedition racks, but the fact that they cost about a grand and having read numerous complaints concerning noise while driving, I have decided against them.

Has anyone found a safari rack that they like?

P

pbrover

I spoke to a sales reprensative with Safety Devices and he indicated that they would produce a roof rack for the LR3 at the end of the year (2006).

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JJABKW said:
First, allow me to comment about what a great board this is, very informative with great input.

Second, I have been hunting around for safari racks for my 05 LR3. I have looked at the LR expedition racks, but the fact that they cost about a grand and having read numerous complaints concerning noise while driving, I have decided against them.

Has anyone found a safari rack that they like?
Welcome to the forum JJABKW

I agree that that the LR racks are costly plus I think they are an exersise in plastic overkill :frown:, however IMHO there is no no such thing as a "quiet" rack and you will always get some wind noise when mounted, so unless you really need a rack most of the time why bother??

Here are a couple of alternatives to the LR rack that may be quieter

http://www.roveraccessories.com/roofracks1.htm#
http://www.hannibal.co.za/default.asp?pageid=545&articleid=105&action=showfull
or if you need something now and then this may work
http://www.everthere.net/hshc/hshc_b_s_r.php

HTH
Cheers
John

L

LR3_Magic

I have the everther carrier that mounts on the rear via the trailer hitch and have ordered the Rover Accessories LR3 roof rack, but not received the rack yet (hopefully this week). Going to Moab for a week mid-March and can send pictures and a report on how they both do on my trip if you can wait.

bizdack

Reaction score
Please do give us a review. That will be greatly appreciated.

I actually liked the 'everthere' rack (Thanks JohnKel for the link). Looks like you can mount a snow thrower there and is very accessible.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3_Magic said:
I have the everther carrier that mounts on the rear via the trailer hitch and have ordered the Rover Accessories LR3 roof rack, but not received the rack yet (hopefully this week). Going to Moab for a week mid-March and can send pictures and a report on how they both do on my trip if you can wait.
Absoultely I've been considering both of them and it would be great to get a first hand report with pics :smile:

Have you encountered any problems with the EverThere carrier and the rear PDC, and do you need a extension for use with the LR hitch ???

How much is the Rover Accessories Rack and is it still unpainted ( the only pics I've seen were of the preprod/prototype) ?? TIA

Cheers
John

L

LR3_Magic

JohnKel, Try the link to photos I have taken of the EverThere carrier mounted on my LR3. I purchased a hitch extender from Northern Tools that raises the attachment point up. I felt that positioned in the regular location on the hitch receiver placed the carrier too low to the ground. I purchased the carry bag that mounts on the carrier to protect items from the weather. I have not had a chance yet to do any road testing as my upcoming Moab trip will be it's first test. Looks well made and I like the ability to easily fold the unit up and carry in the back or place in a room/garage when not needed. Some of the single units that tilt up seemed too heavy and a pain to lug around.

The rack I've ordered from Rover Accessories is to be all Black and I should be getting in in couple of days. I think I'm the first with an all black and have been waiting awhile for it ot come from powder coating before they send to me. Will post pictures when I have both on the vehicle.

http://www.pbase.com/lr3_magic/everthere_carrier

C

conerly

Expedition Rack

I have the LR expedition rack.. it is expensive, however, fits like a glove and the noise becomes irritating @ about 95mph. I have 33k on an LR3 05 SE and bought the rack before the first service. Works great with just about everything I have thrown up there.. suit cases, ladders, camping gear, and christmas trees. I just ordered the ladder for the rear, which I hope makes access easier.
The load rating is not what you would expect, but I think it is limited to the rail load rating of the LR3.

I really don't have any complaints.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635