Rooftop Tents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a rooftop tent that fits the Brownchurch rack
system? Boaz, have you checked this out?

Last edited:

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure Hannibal makes roof rack tent s that will fit that rack. Check out the HRT12 1.2 m Rooftop Tent.

www.hannibal.co.za

Hope that helps

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Closer to home (Corona CA), Buddy Jones has just started a new line of roof top tents are pretty nice and a fraction of the price of the Hannibal style tents. There is a thread on LRRforums.com, search for "roverbuddy" and I think Adam has some info on his site: www.offroving.com

My recollection is that the smaller of the two fits great on the LR3, and is only $699 or thereabouts.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Closer to home (Corona CA), Buddy Jones has just started a new line of roof top tents are pretty nice and a fraction of the price of the Hannibal style tents. There is a thread on LRRforums.com, search for "roverbuddy" and I think Adam has some info on his site: www.offroving.com

My recollection is that the smaller of the two fits great on the LR3, and is only $699 or thereabouts.

Yep, I saw that one and it looks pretty cool. What I am trying to figure out is if
it works with the Brownchurch roof rack. If not will it work with OEM crossbars.
Or do I have to go out and buy a Yakima or Thule system to accomodate anchor
points.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I saw that one and it looks pretty cool. What I am trying to figure out is if
it works with the Brownchurch roof rack. If not will it work with OEM crossbars.
Or do I have to go out and buy a Yakima or Thule system to accomodate anchor
points.

I don't know how burly the OEM rack bars are. I know that Buddy and I did a test fit of the larger of the two tents on my LR3, and we used Yakima load bars and feet. The large tent is actually quite huge, and though doable, I was uncomfortable with it's size as I was intended to go through Nightmare Gulch which has some narrow overhanging bits that I did not want to hit with a loaner tent :)

Buddy uses the same Yakima bars on his Classic, and with 4 people in it, plus the weight of the tent (which is about 100 lbs for the big one), it was plenty strong. Are the OEM bars that strong?

The actual attachment of a tent to a rack or load bars is quite uncomplicated, it's just u-bolts. Or maybe you could use these
7f5cc40761af3fdadaffe7fa2025eba8.jpg

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is true. Hannibal rack tents are quite expensive. Ive been meaning to get a tent for my Disco for some time now, but the prices have had me running the other way. You might check ebay or one of those related sites. I found a nice Hannibal on ebay for only about 500 bucks, but unfortunately I thought about it too long.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a rooftop tent that fits the Brownchurch rack
system? Boaz, have you checked this out?

I too have roof tent envy... :frown:
I have lots of pictures of LR3's with roof tents, but have not gotten serious about acquiring one for myself yet. So sorry, but I don't know about sizes or fitting one to a Brownchurch. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread though. Until then, here's a cool pic of an overland setup on an LR3 with a roof tent.
LR3_RoofTent_ARB.jpg

LR3_RoofTent_ARB-Rear.jpg

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how burly the OEM rack bars are. I know that Buddy and I did a test fit of the larger of the two tents on my LR3, and we used Yakima load bars and feet. The large tent is actually quite huge, and though doable, I was uncomfortable with it's size as I was intended to go through Nightmare Gulch which has some narrow overhanging bits that I did not want to hit with a loaner tent :)

Buddy uses the same Yakima bars on his Classic, and with 4 people in it, plus the weight of the tent (which is about 100 lbs for the big one), it was plenty strong. Are the OEM bars that strong?

The actual attachment of a tent to a rack or load bars is quite uncomplicated, it's just u-bolts. Or maybe you could use these
7f5cc40761af3fdadaffe7fa2025eba8.jpg

I don't think they are THAT strong but I am interested in the smaller one. I guess I will have to
see one in person and that will allow me to determine whether I would be able to
mount one or not. I would need to see if the tents peremeter is bigger or smaller than
the basket. And where on a Brounchurch rack I could anchor those U-bolts. Mr. Woods
do you know how wide those U-bolts are? I am wondering if the OEM crossbars are too
wide. Thanks for the replies everyone.

DD

Last edited:

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boaz, cool pics man. If I make any progress on this I will post up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo