Rubbing Noise from Steering Column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GBRover

Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 with 46000 miles. Of late I have been noticing a rubbing and whining noise when I turn my steering wheel. The noise is particularly noticeable at slow speeds. I think I remember that there was a TSB for this issue on older models. Has anyone experienced this and if so, what was the diagnosis? Were you able to have it fixed?

Thanks!!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 with 46000 miles. Of late I have been noticing a rubbing and whining noise when I turn my steering wheel. The noise is particularly noticeable at slow speeds. I think I remember that there was a TSB for this issue on older models. Has anyone experienced this and if so, what was the diagnosis? Were you able to have it fixed?

Thanks!!

Both David and I had this issue with our LR4s and it was the steering wheel/inner plastic cover, rubbing against the plastic steering wheel cover. Was just out of alignment and was quickly fixed by the dealer. If this is the rubbing you're hearing, it's a simple/easy fix.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both David and I had this issue with our LR4s and it was the steering wheel/inner plastic cover, rubbing against the plastic steering wheel cover. Was just out of alignment and was quickly fixed by the dealer. If this is the rubbing you're hearing, it's a simple/easy fix.
Yes, as Count says above, that happened on my 2011. It was a very easy fix, they just popped it back into place. I was worried it was going to be a major issue!

GBRover

Reaction score
I very much appreciate your response. I was concerned because I do remember a TSB having been issued and when I mentioned it to my service manager he said it was a major operation. Something about having to take apart the entire steering column.

How best should I describe this situation to my service guy so they know exactly what to do and don't go astray with something else?? I assume that this is covered under warranty?

On the subject of warranty.... my 2011 LR4 has 46,000 and I am seriously considering purchasing an extended warranty. I love the car and want to keep it a bit longer. I was thinking about a 3yr/85K warranty product. Have you purchased this for your vehicle? What is your opinion...welcome your thoughts!

Thank you again!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I very much appreciate your response. I was concerned because I do remember a TSB having been issued and when I mentioned it to my service manager he said it was a major operation. Something about having to take apart the entire steering column.

How best should I describe this situation to my service guy so they know exactly what to do and don't go astray with something else?? I assume that this is covered under warranty?

On the subject of warranty.... my 2011 LR4 has 46,000 and I am seriously considering purchasing an extended warranty. I love the car and want to keep it a bit longer. I was thinking about a 3yr/85K warranty product. Have you purchased this for your vehicle? What is your opinion...welcome your thoughts!

Thank you again!
I'm not too fond of aftermarket warranties from 3rd parties, read the small print, there's a lot they don't cover and they'll fight against every repair. I'm not sure about LR extended warranties, but I had heard those are also 3rd party. Maybe another member will chime in with more accurate information.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you again!
For LR to say there's a TSB and it's a big job, it sounds like something very different than a light plastic on plastic rubbing from the steering wheel. Does anyone know what the TSB is?

The rubbing both David and I had was pretty obvious, in the sense of where the noise was coming from. Is your noise different? Is your noise inside the steering column? Deeper inside, on the other side of the firewall?

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I had the exact same issue with my 2013. This slight rubbing/whining noise was starting to get worse and would increase in intensity after driving for a bit (or when it was a bit warm outside/inside.) It sounded very much like a piece of plastic rubbing against another plastic piece and felt as it was coming right from underneath the steering wheel and not from anywhere deep inside.

Dealer kept it for a couple of days, coudn't figure out the fix/diagnosis, and then they talked to the factory and finally replace the steering column (lower I think). I picked up the car recently and so far so good. Shop foreman told me that there was a TSB on earlier models for a faulty seal inside the lower steering column, and that back then factory advice was to just replace the seal only. My car was obviously not in that vin range. And this time factory advised them to replace the entire column.

I was kinda surprised as the noise sounded like that it could easily be fixed by doing exactly what Count and David have mentioned here. Its funny that I didn't even know about this thread up until now (after I picked up my car) but I said to the shop foreman the same thing as above, to which he replied that sometime noises may sound like that they are coming from places which are not the real area they are being generated from.

Anyways I am just glad that its fixed.

GBRover

Reaction score
All of your replies have been very helpful to me. Thanks! I mentioned the noise again to my service advisor and will be bringing the car in within the next few weeks.

Regarding the warranty... I bought one through my LR dealer for $3800. It is a CNA product, bumper to bumper which will cover me to 85K or another 3yrs. Bought the vehicle in Feb 2011 and have just about 47,000 miles on it. Warranty should get me into the new model design for LR4 and/or evaluate the new RRS design.

Thanks again for all of your insights!!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of your replies have been very helpful to me. Thanks! I mentioned the noise again to my service advisor and will be bringing the car in within the next few weeks.

Regarding the warranty... I bought one through my LR dealer for $3800. It is a CNA product, bumper to bumper which will cover me to 85K or another 3yrs. Bought the vehicle in Feb 2011 and have just about 47,000 miles on it. Warranty should get me into the new model design for LR4 and/or evaluate the new RRS design.

Thanks again for all of your insights!!
Yep... That was the one they offered to me when I bought my LR4 two months ago (through CNA). I declined, but I remember the cost being less than $2,000, but that's likely because it was brand new and you get it early. When did you purchase the warranty?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM