Safari snorkel for lr4 FYI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phraxos5

Reaction score
Dear Davis,
We have fitted the Discovery 3 snorkel SS385HF to a Right hand drive March 2010 Build, 180Kw Twin Turbo 3.0 Diesel.
The only aspect of fitment requiring care is the placement of the template, as Landrover has moved the large pressed hole in the side of the guard.
Thus it is essential that the template be located correctly against the rear edge and upper crease, of the guard, NOT centrally around the hole. Other than that, no difference to a Disco 3 installation.
Sincerely,
Lyn Heine
Safari Automotive Pty Ltd
* Address: 73 Merrindale Drive, South Croydon VIC 3136 Australia*
( Phone: +61 3 9761 7244*
y Fax: +61 3 9761 7665
Email: [email protected]
Web site: http://www.safari4x4.com.au

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the intake on the other side?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the intake on the other side?

I was wondering the same thing. Since the LR4 has two intakes, what do you do with the other? Is there a bi-pass that connects to the right side to one snorkel? Inquiring minds want to know.

psc

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. Since the LR4 has two intakes, what do you do with the other? Is there a bi-pass that connects to the right side to one snorkel? Inquiring minds want to know.

Each intake has electronics immediately after the air filter housing - Two snorkels are thus neccesary or lots of plumbing

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each intake has electronics immediately after the air filter housing - Two snorkels are thus neccesary or lots of plumbing

Thanks for responding. Do they make two snorkels for the LR4? Left and right side?

psc

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Do they make two snorkels for the LR4? Left and right side?

Unfortunately not currently - the accesory brouchure states that the current LR snorkel is not "fully" compatible with LR4 (D4) Diesel and not at all compatible with the 5.0 gasoline LR4. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution soon.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately not currently - the accesory brouchure states that the current LR snorkel is not "fully" compatible with LR4 (D4) Diesel and not at all compatible with the 5.0 gasoline LR4. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution soon.

This is really great to know - thank you. Guess I won't be getting one anytime soon. :-(

phraxos5

Reaction score
Re lr4 snorkel fit

This is what I get for asking whether or not the safari snorkel will fit the 2010 lr4 USA. I dont know why he keeps talking abOut turbo diesels with completely different fits. I guess we won't get a straight answer. I'll try one more time.
There are *couple of things here.

Firstly, are you talking about gasoline or diesel?

Secondly, what do you mean by "dual intakes"? There is only one side
grill air entry to the air cleaner assembly.

As for the answer to your question about the compatibility of our Safari
Snorkel to suit the 2.7 Litre turbo diesel Disco 3, with the 2.7 litre
and now the 2.7 / 3.0 Litre turbo diesels Disco 4, there is no problem.
Fits and functions perfectly.

Looking forward to your response,

Regards,

David

Last edited:

psc

Reaction score

The LR4 5.0 Gasoline engine has dual Intakes,filter assemblies and electronics (left and right) - both are active so you need two snorkels or lots of plumbing you can confirm this by looking under the hood. The Diesels have a "dummy" intake on the left, hence the reference to the Diesels.

Neither the Safari nor OEM snorkels are compatible with the LR4 V8.

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I get for asking whether or not the safari snorkel will fit the 2010 lr4 USA. I dont know why he keeps talking abOut turbo diesels with completely different fits. I guess we won't get a straight answer. I'll try one more time.
There are *couple of things here.

As for the answer to your question about the compatibility of our Safari
Snorkel to suit the 2.7 Litre turbo diesel Disco 3, with the 2.7 litre
and now the 2.7 / 3.0 Litre turbo diesels Disco 4, there is no problem.
Fits and functions perfectly.

Looking forward to your response,

Regards,

David

The ongoing confusion in this thread is due to the fact that the LR4 "Diesel" (known as Discovery 4 in the rest of the world) is not available in the US, and the snorkel is available only for the diesel engine, and most of those using this forum are here in the US (this is labelled the LR4 Forum after all). That is - it doesn't apply. In fact, I would even suggest that as the diesel is not available in the US, and the US is the only place the Disco 4 is named LR4, that there is no such thing as a Diesel LR4. Count or someone who knows what they are talking about will correct this if needed.

Last edited: