Service Engine Light / Sputtering...Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My 99 Disco 2 is experiencing a slight sputtering periodically what seems to occur when the car is running for awhile in about the 20-30 mph range, starts to sputter abit, SE light blinks and nows its on permanently. I wanted to see the best road to take to disagnose this since I have been using the car heavy for trips to VT in some tough driving conditions already. A few things to note:

1. Ran seafoam per the directions for the D2 using the Hose to Valve Cover only for apprx 1/2 can. The rest was put in the oil and engine per instructions. This worked great, carbon buildup seemed to seem out the the exhaust as well.

One thing that was interesting was a plastic coil inserted in the same hose used. I pulled it out and the coil had a very caked build up of what I guess was carbon. Actually, I would up taking the thing out since it seemed to almost be blocking the line. Any idea on this and if I should put it back in?

2. I will get the misfire codes and come back to you on this.

3. I was planning to run Seafoam again as I did the first application about three weeks ago now. Maybe it can use another hit?

4. Should I consider new champion plugs, get the wires changed? Any idea which wires and where to get them? I am in Northern NJ

5. Any other ideas on what this can be? I spoke to my buddy who used to be a mechanic at LR and of course mentioned maybe a valve job which I would really like to avoid.

6. Finally, as an aside, I am looking to put some 275/55/18 Michelins Cross Terrains to replace my 255/55/18. Any thoughts on this? I heard they are decent on noise (although I have the ACE which is a gurlging monster that I have grown to love) and in the snow. The issue here though is I have seached hi and low for a similar tire with something of a meatier tread (radial TA) but having no luck. I would like a slightly higher profile than the std 255.
Any thoughts here would be great.

The SE sputtering issue though is really something I need to get resolved before I konk out in VTin the middle of a giant snowstorm!!

Thanks again
Charlie

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The plastic thing you are refering to... can you post a pic of it and the location on the engine? This might help.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dig Picts

Hey Joey

Thanks alot

Attached you will find the pictures for:

1. Hose in which the plastic coil was inserted
2. Pic of Plastic Coil
3. Picture of vehicle with new michelins cross terrains 275/55/18

Thanks for the help as its driving me nuts

Charlie

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
File too large?

Sorry mentioned they wre too large. Any ideas?

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jpegs

Hi Joey

Maybe I can email these to you? Maybe easier...

Thanks again
Charlie

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
if you want to email them to me, that is fine.... jshreve @ zzzip dot net

removing the spaces of course.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dic Picts

Hey Joey

Many thanks as I really appreciate it. Dig Picts were sent via email just now as mentioned. I hope you can shed some light on this since I am ready to do what it takes it to fix it...hopefully without a valve job :)

Thanks
Charlie

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joey

Actually I just realized I sent the one dig picture with the hose INCORRECTLY removed at the valve cover by accident. The plastic coil was not inserted here.

However, looking at the same photo, you can imagine the plastic coil was at the end of the same hose INSERTED where this end attaches to the valve cover. If confused I will send another photo.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at the pics you sent, and what you removed is the PVC valve, a good cleaning wouldn't hurt it at all.

Also unless I am mistaken (could be on a D2 I have a D1) you should have removed the hose off of the drivers side valve cover to add the seafoam, you want it to go in the air intake area, you could also remove the air intake and slowly apply to the butterfly valve as well, this will allow it to get to both sets of valves.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seafoam

Hey Joey

Thanks. Interesting as I followed a previous posting where it suggested on the passenger side for the D2 to apply the SF. It seems to perform as what I would expect, tons of smoke, and seamingly better performance.

I will ty to find the post.

Anyhow I will try your suggestion too for application within the butterfly valve and on the driver side off the valve cover....I am sure it cant hurt.

Why would that PVC valve be inserted there? I guess I should put it back in.....

Do you think my issue is a valve issue or could it be something with a needed change to plugs, wires...I am the second owner as the car has 65K

Thanks for taking time here. I appreciate it.

Charlie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge