Shakes and Rattles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my CPO 2006 LR3 with the 3rd row seats for about 5 months now and it seems to have a lot of shakes and rattles coming from the headliner and rear of the truck in general. The truck is completely silent on the highway, but on city streets it can be a little annoying. Does everyone else have this same issue and I am just being too picky or should I have the shop go through and quiet these rattles down?

Other than this issue, the truck is awesome. I can't wait to get in out on the trails this summer.

appletigger

Reaction score
my headliner rattled, I took it to the dealer and they fixed it.... in my case, it was a loose bolt.

Nikolaus

Reaction score
found rattle on my 2005 HSE

Had an annoying rattle similar to what you mentioned. Realized the noise came form the upper tailgate. Pressing on the lower left corner of the upper tailgate while standing behind the locked car reproduced the issue. My friend Jaguar Mechanic traced it down to the "spacers" that center your tailgate when you close it.
The issue was fixed by sticking some selfadhesive rubber on the car where the tailgate spacers hit the car.
Give the tailgate shake a try and let me know if that is your issue - in that case I miight be motivated to take pictures and upload....

Nikolaus

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did adjust the tailgate and that fixed some of the issues. The rest were in the dashboard, third row seats and headliner. They fixed the dashboard rattle and headliner in one visit. The third row seats are not fixable as it is caused by plastic on plastic contact when folded. The headliner issue was solved when they replaced my sunroof. Now there is a rattle in the GPS screen area, but I might just let that one go and turn up the stereo. I had an Audi A4 before, which was dead silent after 156,000 miles, so I guess I am a little picky. I am starting to get used to a few noises, but it is annoying when I get in my wifes 2006 Grand Cherokee and it has no rattles at 50,000 miles. Oh well, its the price we pay for great 4 wheeling.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Chicago and during the last 2 years the road conditions have become unacceptable. Potholes or "craters" on every street. My D3 has gone from silent traveler to noisy transport. All the noise is coming from the tailgate area. In trying to deduce the cause I started with the most obvious - is the spare tire secure? Is the license plate rattling? During my last service I had the tech reposition the strikers on the lower tailgate - this eliminated about 50% of the rattle. Next time I'll have them reposition the striker for the upper tailgate. Beyond these items, I'm assuming that it's in the back lower tailgate panel or plastic surrounds of the tailgate glass. It's driving me nuts but I still would rather drive my D3 than anything else....

Nikolaus

Reaction score
what cured my Rattle

took a picture of the small piece that cures my rattle (first picture). Sits on the car where the spacers (second picture) of the upper tailgate hit touch the body.

Nikolaus

Attachments

• IMG_3742_small.jpg
    IMG_3742_small.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3741_small.jpg
    IMG_3741_small.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 104

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know, the tailgate hydraulic struts are a known source for loud knocks over potholed roads. They are replaced under warranty. They also told me that for whatever reason the noise is more pronounced in colder weather. Something to look at...

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At dealers last weekend I noticed the '08 floor model LR3 had a new version of the upper tailgate close guides. I have an '05 and on either side of the upper tailgate where the hydraulic arm is attached to the body there is a plastic guide that is spring loaded. The '08 model has a peg that presses onto a rubber tab. I wonder if these guides in older LR3's cause noise - why would LR change the design?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635