Sheepish Houm_WA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm_WA said:
First, there is the fact that it stops you RIGHT NOW yet under control and in a straight line with no skidding.

Second, there is the cool beeping noise it makes and message in the info center.

Hey, try it yourself and see how else it can be described.

Thanks.

I'm not apt to try something just because its "cool" (hey didn't nancy reagan teach us anything?). Anyway, now that I know how the vehicle is supposed to respond, it sounds like I won't damage the vehicle or myself if I pull it.

How is that different from just slamming on the brakes?

H

Houm_WA

Todd, do you realize that you are scoffing at the idea of just pulling this parking break at speed, which by the way, it's designed for, and instead asking me to describe things to you?

I think you should just do it. It's merely a suggestion, but I'm fairly certain it won't harm your vehicle....so if you really want to know what's so cool about it or how it's different than slamming on the brakes...try it.

...plus, like me, you should want to know that yours works ! Trust me, I love my LR3 as much as the next owner and would not do anything in it that I didn't think would be perfectly "healthy" for it. If it were abusive, the dude at the LR Experience would not have let me do it. One philosophy they teach is "mechanical compassion" which is why we went through the lengthy parking/brake procedure as well as using 4-low and slow speeds for everything.

Forget Nancy Reagan....didn't Phil Knight teach us anything? ("Just do it")

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scoffing? Far from it. Must have come across wrong in the text post. Just have never pulled a parking brake at speed and wanted to know the details. Think you read too much into my curiousity and if I don't know that its designed to handle this, I think its a pretty good idea that I asked for details! Sorry... "cool" just didn't answer any questions.

Thanks for the info.

H

Houm_WA

Yeah, alright....maybe you're right, I do read in some.

...but I still think you should pull it.

bizdack

Reaction score
Actually have tried this and is a very neat safety feature that would halt the vehicle.

Went to a dealership sponsored "off road" event and they encouraged us to do so in a controlled environment.

Sort of a "good to know you have it feature".

H

Houm_WA

Precisely. Thanks for the vote of confidence, bizdack !

Todd...try it, then let me know what you think.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm WA

I tried mine @ 40mph and and as you said, stopped in a straight line and like right now....great to know its avail thanks for the info. I tried it a couple of times... once held till stop and then "pulsed" to stop.....glad no one was behind me because its like a panic stop but completly controlled :)

Cheers
John

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that your brake lights will not come on either, so it would be best not to do it with anyone following...

H

Houm_WA

Yes they do...but I still wouldn't do it if there were cars behind me.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That must be a newer feature on these trucks. My D1 does not have a brake light switch anywhere but the brake pedal linkage, and IIRC D2s are the same way.

Just what these over-electronic beasts need, is another switch that can go out in the middle of nowhere without a spare. Grrr.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer