Shifting into Park Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

pfran42

I recently purchased a 95 discovery with 117k miles on it that runs very smoothly. Today I put it in park and it was like the truck was in Nuetral!!! It just kept rolling. I played with the shifter a bit and then with the transfer gearbox to no avail. I got it to where when you put it in park, it would make a loud clicking winding sound but it still would behave as if it were in nuetral. Does anyone have a clue? Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is definitely a problem. When you move from each position on the gearbox, does the button on the gearshifter click? Maybe it is a simple problem like that. What else can you tell us?

D

discomike

Paul,
The clicking sound you are hearinh is the lock pin for park. I bet with these 2 things going on that your shifter needs adjustment. Are you OK in the forward gears?
Mike J.

P

pfran42

The The truck drives like a dream. I even drove it to work today. I just had to park it on a flat surface and engage the parking brake. All of the gears (including reverse) work great. The only other thing I can think to tell you is that when it is in park, and not moving it doesnt make any noise. the clicking happens when I put it on a slight grade and then put the shifter in park. When I release the footbrake the clicking sound starts as it rolls slowly down the grade. The clicking sound speeds up relative to the speed the vehicle gains as is starts rolling and gains momentum. Then winding clicking sound happens when I put the transfer case in 4L and then move the shifter from N to D and then to P. Is there any other info I can provide?

BTW..thanks for everyone responding so quickly to my question.

D

discomike

Paul,
Don't keep driving it, you can be doing internal damage and the $'s will just keep adding up.
Mike J.

P

pfran42

I got it to go into park!

when stopped, if I depress the shift lever button, and slide it all the way to D3 and then all the way to P moderately fast, It will go into park. Is it ok to drive untill I can get it to the shop?
Mike.. do you still think that all it needs the shifter adjusted? How much does something like that cost?

D

discomike

Yes, I still am holding on an adjustment, just let get do the clicking thing in the mean time.
Mike J.

J

jhermoso

Mike is right, Just had last week this problem, and was exactly it, shifter adjustment, not a problem and not expensive at all, just have it adjusted at the shop..

well it could be reallllllly expensive if you forget and park in a hill and when return found your disco inside a house....be carefull, the park brake can fail tooo..

P

pfran42

You guys were right, i got the shifter adjusted and it work fine...now it just revs 1000 rpm too high at idle and lunges from a stop. i guess I'll have to start a new thread

Thanks for the help Mike

D

discomike

Paul,
The lunging problem is the adjustment, take it back.
The idle, that's another problem. Are you saying it idles at 1700 to 1800 RPMs at idle?
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635