Shocks for '95 Disco 1, and other ??'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

disco95

Hey everyone...

Alright i'm new here but have a few questions about what i should outfit my truck with...

-I had put the 2" Rovertym lift on my discovery and i chose the OME shocks but now im interested in putting on the removable sway bars and also putting articulation cones in the rear and i was curious which shocks i should be choosing for that application, the Rancho RS9000's were appealing to me alot but then i was also looking at the Bilstein shocks and i was just curious for recomendations to go either Rancho or Bilstein and if so which would be the best model they offer for me. (any places that sell them too). I was also curious how good of articulation i'd be getting with the longer shocks, articulation cones, and the sway bars removed.
-I was also curious as to what is a popular bumper to put on because i wanted to put on the Warn 12,000lb winch

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personal opinion:

I wouldnt touch rancho shocks with 10' pole. Ever again.

I wouldnt recommend any models as i am incapable of keeping all those numbers in my head. But i'd just call John @ EE or just drop him mail and go with his recommendation on OME shocks. You may save few bucks of his prices, but its nothing in comparition with good customer service, prompt shipment and good product. Other than that i'd probably consider Scorpion Racing shocks. 4x4ag.com should have those, or should be able to get those, and they got great technical folkz who can help. Bilsteins are great shocks indeed, but they arent really going well with Disco trucks, or so it seems.

- please do tell us your lovely truck year. Then we can talk on rest of it.

D

disco95

Its a 1995 white Discovery

-Here she is:

Attachments

• final 003.jpg
    final 003.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 99

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have recommended fox shocks to me. I am going to buy some and try them out. I will let you all know.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam, if you will get them - do tell us story. I heard of those like 2 times only, and never seen them. Also, while at it - how you deal with your lift and front sway bar rubbing on front shaft? Did Marc built any magical offsetting/spacer device for it yet? :)

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rover has a magical offsetting device built into the Rovers. Look under the truck and you will see a bolt on the inside of the wheel. You just have to spend 15 min to adjust that. You loose a little turning radius but it is well worth it.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Ian, i did totally overlooked that you got year if truck in subj of thread. Totally shagged out after long weekend spent under truck i am ;)

On removable sways - you pretty much on your own. There are only 2 companies i am aware of that building disconnects for Discos - Rovertym and Aedofab. And i never seen product from first one even on photo :)

There is article on web http://www.jonfund.com/technical/customswaybars.shtml on how to build one like Aedofab makes. But i think front one should be disconnected differently, b/c with lift larger than about 1.5" you getting too little space between sway bar and front shaft - bloody thing rubs from time to time. With 3" they rubs pretty much all the time when you wheel off-road.

With 2" of suspension lift you most likely wont need any cones, and you simply will max out shocks (with disconnected sways) before springs will go unseat. But you can always speak with Rovertym on that.

Disconnected sways will give you articulation gain that is measured as min(max extended travel of your shock - normal extension of your shock, max extension of seated spring with applied load of wheel and about 50% weight of axle - normal extension)... Basically with removed sways you gaining about 2" of wheel travel easy (seen that figure somewhere on texas rovers club pages). More if you have longer/lowered shocks..

In summary - its well worth to disconnect but you got to fabricate your own disconnects or remove sways permanently (or do it before hitting trail - which is hardly fun job).

Last edited:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slam said:
Rover has a magical offsetting device built into the Rovers. Look under the truck and you will see a bolt on the inside of the wheel. You just have to spend 15 min to adjust that. You loose a little turning radius but it is well worth it.

Eh? Steering stop?

M

montanablur

I just recently shot the Red Bull Pro Off Road Racing Truck. Steve Barlow the owner swears by the Fox Shocks and claims that their cutomer service is unparalleled in the industry. Totally different beast but my mountain bikes have Fox suspension and it's amazing.

D

disco95

Sergei said:
With 2" of suspension lift you most likely wont need any cones, and you simply will max out shocks (with disconnected sways) before springs will go unseat. But you can always speak with Rovertym on that.

Disconnected sways will give you articulation gain that is measured as min(max extended travel of your shock - normal extension of your shock, max extension of seated spring with applied load of wheel and about 50% weight of axle - normal extension)... Basically with removed sways you gaining about 2" of wheel travel easy (seen that figure somewhere on texas rovers club pages). More if you have longer/lowered shocks..

Sergei
Are those de Carbon Scorpion shocks comparable to Bilsteins quality wise? would the 2" lift shocks they have give me a long enough setup to get my springs to unseat, because i was gonna put at least rear articulation cones on?(do many ppl put on front articulation cones?)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72