Should I buy a used 2006 LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles do you have. Why are you selling it? I agree the new colors in the LR4 kinda bites. I do not like the fender/mirror color matched either. You have any pics of yours?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
109,000. Bought a '13 LR4 last summer. I've got pics, but just picture yours...except in my driveway :)

mansoor757

Reaction score
The good news is that at 90k miles, the first round of stuff to go has probably been taken care of. Find out what all has been done, the more the better. Compressor, control arms, wheel bearings are common - although not terribly expensive. I changed my oil today for $45. Find a good third party mechanic and you're good to go. Or figure it out yourself and save more. I wouldn't hesitate to go for the 3 over the GX.

Would you be able to give me a list of stuff I should check for when I go look at the LR3?

mansoor757

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to get the LR3. I purchased my 2006 about 3 years ago with 90,000 miles for $17,000 and its been pretty amazing. At $8,000 its a steal. I would definitely ask about when the battery was changed, (These trucks needs juice or you'll get random faults) ask if there are any suspension faults and I would recommend getting a ob2 gap tool if you plan on working on the truck yourself. My 2 cents :) or the Terra Firma i930 by icarsoft, cheaper and made to diagnose Landrover/Jaguar cars specific.
My only problems with the truck so far was I needed a new front suspension valve block, changed out myself, a new battery, brake switch, $15.00 part, 10 minute fix, I had a crack on the seam of my windshield water bottle which I fixed using a soldering iron. I also changed out all my rotors and brakes, thinner tires but those are wear and tear items that don't really count.The LR3 might have some random quirks here and there but the forums have most of the answers to fix them. If your mechanically inclined you won't have any problems tackling the problems. Pic on left when I first got the truck, pic on right current.
Lets say an issue happens to the truck. Im not mechanically inclined. Would I have to pay a lot out of pocket? I dont plan on working on the car myself.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mansoor757: I am going to be really honest with you. If maintenance and cost is a concern, and you only need 4WD for snow in the city....get the Lexus. I test drove the Lexus back in 2005 before I took delivery of my LR3. It is a perfectly good and capable 4WD SUV. It will be just fine in the snow, it will be a pleasure to drive and you'll have Lexus reliability. You may want to shop for one that has less miles, if you're so inclined, but then again that many miles probably means they were freeway miles, which are pretty non-impactful.

I absolutely LOVE my LR3; don't get me wrong. However it does require maintenance and the parts/labor are expensive. I use all the features of the LR3 on a regular basis. If I didn't, I'd find it more difficult to rationalize the PITA-factor of ownership. The Rover has character though...it's up to you to decide if that's enough for you to justify buying it.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lr3 weighs almost 3 tons. A v6 engine is underpowered compared to the v8 especially trying to tow or going uphill and highway speeds. There are many Lr3 v8s out there for about the same price. Is the v6 a hse? I have the hse v8 and it has all the bells and whistles. Everything except rear lockers. :(

Last edited:

mansoor757

Reaction score
@mansoor757: I am going to be really honest with you. If maintenance and cost is a concern, and you only need 4WD for snow in the city....get the Lexus. I test drove the Lexus back in 2005 before I took delivery of my LR3. It is a perfectly good and capable 4WD SUV. It will be just fine in the snow, it will be a pleasure to drive and you'll have Lexus reliability. You may want to shop for one that has less miles, if you're so inclined, but then again that many miles probably means they were freeway miles, which are pretty non-impactful.

I absolutely LOVE my LR3; don't get me wrong. However it does require maintenance and the parts/labor are expensive. I use all the features of the LR3 on a regular basis. If I didn't, I'd find it more difficult to rationalize the PITA-factor of ownership. The Rover has character though...it's up to you to decide if that's enough for you to justify buying it.

Would the land rover cost more to own than the gx470? Including the 3k premium just for purchasing the gx470 over the lr3. Most gx470's used start at 11k.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo