Shoulda got a bigger truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redrover98

Reaction score
I have a 1998 RangeRover. Recently I mistook it for a Freight-liner pulling a extremely overweight trailer about 100 miles. Could not go over 35 MPH due to weight causing fishtailing.After unloading trailer at destination vehicle ran great for about 25 miles and then just quit pulling all-together.I checked the fluid with the engine running and know the pump is at least working (due to fluid level) .The fluid does not smell burnt. Is there anything else I might consider other than the probably obvious, YOU BURNT UP THE TRANSMISSION "********". Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I take it the engine was still running... How heavy of a load were you pulling?

How many miles were on the Rover?

Does reverse work?

redrover98

Reaction score
Joey,Cincinatti Ohio... Referencing the bad tranny on the 98 Land rover.The automobile has 74,000 original miles.The load was app.5,000 lb. pulling up and down hilly countryside. I am sure the load increased when the trailer went into a fishtail,pulling the vehicle back as the trailer swayed. Engine was still running fine.Will not go in any gear ,including reverse.Drive shaft turns ,I believe,will have to go to shop and check again. Thanks

redrover98

Reaction score
Joey,Cincinatti Ohio... Referencing the bad tranny on the 98 Land rover.The automobile has 74,000 original miles.The load was app.5,000 lb. pulling up and down hilly countryside. I am sure the load increased when the trailer went into a fishtail,pulling the vehicle back as the trailer swayed.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok first of 5k is not too heavy for a Rover unless of course you were pulling it all up hill.

I have pulled more than that with my Disco for 45 miles it wasn't fun, but I did it.

It sounds like you had too much weight on the rear of the trailer if it was swaying... a balance load is key there.

you say the drive shaft turns? are both turning or just the front or rear? The fact that it turns is important.

redrover98

Reaction score
Joey,Been a while,but back to the 98 Rover pulling the load on hillside. First the drive shaft is not turning now,I believe it was in the past ,even without the tranny working. Haven't messed with it for 6-8 months. Secondly when I start the engine the "Gearbox Overheat" appears on the display panel. Could you help. Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly this sounds like your transmission is gone bad. I would suggest either finding a rebuilt one, or sourcing one from a Salvage yard. Or if it were me buy another D1 as a replacement or spares vehicle.

redrover98

Reaction score
Joey,How can you distinguish between the Transmission being bad or perhaps a bad transfer case? What symptoms would be different? Thanks

redrover98

Reaction score
Redrover

Joey,How would you distinguish between a bad tranny and/ or a bad transfer case? What symptoms would be different,whereas maybe a fuse ,relay,ect.?,just hopeing

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly pull them out and have a look... you can check fluids in both to see which one smells burnt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635