Silly D1 Question RE: Cigar Lighter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I am increasingly frustrated with the cigar lighter outlet in my 96 D1. As many of you know, or have discovered, the diameter of cigar lighters in Britain is apparently a smidge larger than in the US.

My question: Has anyone simply cut-and-spliced a "US Issue" 12V outlet into that spot? I'm sick of my multi-plug wiggling out and having my cell charger / inverter / GPS shut off at inopportune moments. It seems like I should be able to do this, but I don't want to repeat someone else's mistake if there's one to be made. And I'm electric-tarded too... :biggrin:

Thanks,

Andy

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I plan to just wire in a 4 outlet unit and have it mount to the back of the center console. I plan to wire a fuse wire directly to the battery... I burnt up the wires to my Cigar lighter the other day trying to use an inverter.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A similar prob: Cigar lighter on my 'new' '97 Disco was broken and not working (Can't power my GPS, Radar Detector, etc.!!!!) Pulled the console as it needed to be done, as there was cola residue all over the thing, and I'm restoring the beast. Found that there was no power to the lighter. Fuse is okay, but has no power at the fuse block. All others there are powered. I'm electrically adept, but pulling the fuse block is a last choice. Is there a connector I dont know about?

Joey's solution is well-founded, but I'd like to keep the Disco as original as possible.

Don

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember the lighter will not power up without the key being on or in ACC setting

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, knew that, that's why I tested both ways, and thanks fer the response. BTW, how's that chip upgrade holding up?

Don

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Chip upgrade is working great.. worth every penny. It should pay for itself by the end of the year in fuel savings alone.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 outlet cigar lighter unit

Joey,

Where did you find that 4 outlet unit, and does it mount inside or outside the console? Seems there is room to mount inside, and as I have the console pulled, now is the time. BTW, the chip upgrade is now $100 more expensive. Good call on your part.

Don

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I picked my 4 outlet unit up at a truck stop IIRC, I mounted it behind the center console, this way I don't have wires hanging out from under the dash.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok - I am going to have to upload some pix of all the wiring I have done (granted, I also installed an aux. battery with a Wrangler full battery management system). I have a two-pak plug-in next to my radio over head on the upper console; I have a two-pak on the back of the main center console just behind the utility box and I have a two pak on the driver's side at the front of the lower console by my drink holder and,last but not least, I installed a converter on the passenger's side of the console - right up by the drink holder again (that one is to recharge my computer when I mount it in on my Jotto-desk). In other words, I can run a lot of electrical equipment on ample outlets (all properly fused and connnected).

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chip

Chip upgrade is working great.. worth every penny. It should pay for itself by the end of the year in fuel savings alone.

Ok - I must have something still going goofy still on mine because I am just not seeing that kind of gas mileage return. I replaced my ECT sensor and that seemed to help, I had a back-up MAF sensor and that has helped a little, I also replaced the IAT sensor (I am not certain that hepled anything at all). And I am still wondering about the coil-paks as I cannot fathom what else it might be; the engine runs as smooth as silk but I am not getting the kind of acceleration, on the one hand, or good gas mileage when driving sanely - on the other hand. So, slowly but surely I am working my way through my old sensors (not a cheap proposition). Moreover, I am running their Gold 93 (top of the line ) chip with Chevron 94 Supreme Plus octane as well (costs me about $110.00 USD a tank).

Any suggestions at all would be helpful.

By the way, replacing the MAF with my used but good back-up unit has seemed to nix the P1179 code.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9