Slight Noise on takeoff. Differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the last few weeks I have noticed a slight bump or knock on takeoff once the vehicle has moved about 5 to 10 feet and is under 15 MPH. The sound is really soft right now, but it's probably just the beginning. It sounds like it is coming from the front left axle. There is no sound once the LR3 gets moving faster than about 15 even if I accelerate faster. I'm thinking I need to take it in for a differential fluid change. Any thoughts?

Also of note, the vehicle is not pulling to one side or the other on takeoff.

2005 LR3 HSE
59,035 Miles as of today.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the control arm bushings.

Differential failure is reportedly a continuous hollow metallic noise (much like the "hair bands" from the late 80's)

Last edited:

jgk200

Reaction score
2006 LR3 HSE...... Just Hit 55,000 Miles... I have what sounds like a tire/wheel out of balance coming from the right side. The noise starts around 20mph to 30mph & then again above 45mph.( DOES NOT SOUND LIKE METAL GRINDING) I had the dealer drive it & they thought maybe a wheel bearing gone bad but, would need to put the LR on a lift to further investigate. I received the dreaded call later in the afternoon that my Rear Locking Diff is the culprit. To top it off, dealer at this time has no info on when the part will be available from Land Rover...

I will say my LR3 has been a very good vehicle ( other then tire's for the 19's) but, a diff failing at 55k seems premature to me... I've read up on the diff issues that have been reported here & other forums prior taking to the dealer. So, I guess i wasn't too surprised when I got the call. I have a rear diff on order with no eta (2,500 parts & labor) & I am having them do the TSB LTB00245 for the front diff larger breather cap. Unfortunately, my LR3 is out of warranty ( i guess I should have extended my warranty like I did with my 04 Disco ) I'm concerned it's just gonna be replaced with the same ****** diff... what to do what to do????:stupid:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112