Soon to be Land Rover owner-few Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the 2005 new car problems were resolved in later 05. Keep in mind that an 05 was built/out in 04. (Also US doesn't get Euro cars first, EMEA does.) If you have an early early 05, you likely had some teething issues. If you have a later 05, you do not.

You can tell from the VIN number. If you have an "e" or prior, that is of the earlier builds. If you have a "g" or later, you are fine. Also, you can look at the build date as well. Later the better, but if it was built in 05 in all but a couple months, you likely have a "g"

After 2005, I wouldn't think twice. . .especially 08. . . However, with 08, why the heck not wait and get the new LR4?

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 2005, I wouldn't think twice. . .especially 08. . . However, with 08, why the heck not wait and get the new LR4?

FWIW, the 2005's are fine too. They've had all of the fixes and updates applied via recall or TSB (EAS compressor, fuel tank, alignment, clock spring, software, etc).

teamfalcon

Reaction score
Actually, the 2005 new car problems were resolved in later 05. Keep in mind that an 05 was built/out in 04. (Also US doesn't get Euro cars first, EMEA does.) If you have an early early 05, you likely had some teething issues. If you have a later 05, you do not.

You can tell from the VIN number. If you have an "e" or prior, that is of the earlier builds. If you have a "g" or later, you are fine. Also, you can look at the build date as well. Later the better, but if it was built in 05 in all but a couple months, you likely have a "g"

In my case, the LR4, new would be mid 50k.

The 2008 LR3 with 9K miles (demo) $38K, saving some money for a little RV/third wheel that we've wanted while still getting a nice LR3.

Aevum031

Reaction score
schafari, or anyone else who could chime in, can you explain the VIN thing a little more? are you saying if it starts with an "e"? I looked at the vin, do all range rovers start with "sala"? Am I right to assume that youre refering to the letter comes after that last 'a'?

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schafari, or anyone else who could chime in, can you explain the VIN thing a little more? are you saying if it starts with an "e"? I looked at the vin, do all range rovers start with "sala"? Am I right to assume that youre refering to the letter comes after that last 'a'?

I think that's what he's saying, but I'm not so sure I understand why. I thought the letter following "SALA" indicated the trim. I have a 2006 "SALAE". The "E" just indicates that it's an SE trim with 7 seats. And I believe the "G" indicates an HSE trim with 7 seats.

You can use this nifty tool to "decode" the VIN http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SAL is always the same. The next two characters are reference to the body code. My understanding is that in the latter run of the 2005 model year, the "e" went to "g" (I am not sure of anything in between.)

(Note, many of those handy VIN calcs are notoriously inaccurate.)

Aevum031

Reaction score
I guess the best thing to do is for me to just check out the manufacturing date on the car when I go back to check it out. I looked at a few 08's that have vins "salae", seems that all the SE's are salae, so it doesnt appear that it has any bearing on the manufactured date. Anywho, I really appreciate all the help guys, its making my purchase a much more informed one :driver:

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! I have a 5 seater SE 2005 and its vin is SALAD. See, it IS a very green machine. Cracked me up first time I read it.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 SALAA, the second A, I assume, stands for awesome.
It was a 01/05 build.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd