Special Socket Wrench To Remove Caliper from Hub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MFive

Hello folks, I have a Disco II (2001) and have recently replaced the brake pads. I want to replace the rotors but I noticed that the bolt that holds the caliper "housing" to the hub looks unusual and I don't want to use any ordinary wrench to unbolt it. Do I need a special tool for this?

Thanks in advance.
Manuel
San Jose, CA

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked everywhere for that tool with no luck. I believe that screw is tightened to 10 ft/lb of torque. I used a tap and chisle to back it out(I don't think it had ever been removed) and a new screw comes with your rotors. You should be able to tighten back on with reg screw driver without gumming it up. 10lbs of torque ain't much.

M

MFive

Hi Mark, are you referring to the screw on the front near the wheel bolts? I see those and they do look unique. Actually what I'm trying to figure out is the bolt located behind the rotor. It's the bolt that secures the caliper housing on to the brake hub. It looks like a 12-point socket might work, but I'm wondering if a special tool is required instead. Thanks for the feedback.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember using anything special on that one. I think I used a 12 point metric socket. I could be wrong on the metric though..

M

mddisco

I used a regular metric socket to remove the bracket on my 2000 disco. As for the phillips looking screw which sets your rotor on hubs, I used an impact driver to loosen the screw. one quick tap and it was loose. you can pick one up at sears for about $20 something.. make sure the largest phillips head or you'll strip it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4