Squeak from rear suspension after playing in mud and dropping to bump stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, a new thread about a squeaky suspension.

here's the deal- went through fairly large muddy puddles (like two feet deep and 50 feet long) last weekend. all was fine until my second pass through the big puddle when i got the full christmas tree on the dash- special programs not available, etc., with the tip over warning, abs light, check engine light... truck drops to bump stops and i get a strong squeaking noise out of the rear.

turn off the truck and re-start. everything fine, suspension raises up, but after 100 yards or so full christmas tree and back to bump stops.

limp out of there, drive home on bump stops, let everything dry out and disconnect battery for 15 minutes- computer is happy again, suspension goes to normal height and all is well, except for the squeak.

i tracked it down to the left rear. i believe it is coming from the lower control arm area, but it's hard to pinpoint. with the wheel off i can lift the whole control arm assembly and cause the squeak. it is not coming from the sway bar bushings.

i'm thinking either (a) driving through the water stripped lubrication from somewhere, or (b) dropping to bump stops tweaked something. if it's (a), maybe i can lube it myself. if it's (b) then it's above my pay grade.

anyone care to diagnose a squeak over the internet? if this sounds like something you've experienced, would love to hear how it was resolved.

thanks.

navydevildoc

Reaction score
I had a very similar problem about a year ago... a friend and I couldn't pin down the exact place of the squeak, in the end we sprayed just about everything we could think of with silicone lube, and it didn't go away. Even took it in to the local rover independent, they couldn't get it to stop nor find it since it only happened while on the road.

Then magically it stopped a few months later, never to return. We all figure that the lube finally made its way in to whatever it was.

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm. thanks for the reply. no way i would want to live with this noise for a few months. off to the shop for some diagnosis.

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just like navydevildoc posted, the noise i was experiencing went away on it's own. go figure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635