Starter Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteezTight

Reaction score
Several weeks ago I did several water crossings in my truck. Since then on the occasion when I go to start it up and all you hear is a single click. Recently it has been getting worse. I first checked the ground wire on the back of the starter and it was on tight. I also tightened the wires on the front of the solenoid. I dont know what I should check next, after everything I did when I went to start it up it did the same thing.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Does it ever start, or just click? Have you checked the Battery? and the Battery cables?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go get your battery/alternator tested at your local auto parts store, got to have between 13.6 and 14.4 volts while at 2000 RPM's.

SteezTight

Reaction score
yes, it does start sometimes you just have to jiggle the key around a little. When it starts it turns right over which is why I thought it was the ground. I hvae also checked the battery and cables, they are both fine. I guess my next step will be getting the volts checked if she wants to start today. Thanks for your help anything else would be appreciated.

SteezTight

Reaction score
so I made it to the auto parts store and I have sufficient voltage coming from the alternator. Is there anything else that could be causing this problem? Today is the first day I got it to start in the past couple days.

Thanks

shaunyb007

Reaction score
You need to replace the starter motor, easy job 1 hr on your drive??
I replaced mine last week i was having same thing click click then she would fire up. I could get to it some times it would start first time then the next time it could take upto 30/40 turns of the key.
If you want guidance on replacement i will post a fools guide.:hello:

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: ignition tumbler switch

yes, it does start sometimes you just have to jiggle the key around a little. When it starts it turns right over which is why I thought it was the ground. I hvae also checked the battery and cables, they are both fine. I guess my next step will be getting the volts checked if she wants to start today. Thanks for your help anything else would be appreciated.

This does sound like a classic starter issue but, be forewarned, sadly and expensively, the LR Disco Key-tumbler ignition switches are known to go after serious wear and just like other electronics on the steering column - they are not cheap! Let's hope its just the starter (as you can get some good deals on decent rebuilds at Atlantic/Brit or even on ebay, etc.)

Wolf

rovingrom

Reaction score
Same problem on my Defender

Hi! I run my Defender in Romania frequently on very wet andor dusty tracks. The starter motors only last 9 to 18 months, especially the Marelli Magneti ones! I change them often. Lucky for me I can still get starter motors repaired in Romania for about £40 a time - cheaper than replacements.

Sometimes the problem starts after the following series of events:
1. Dunking in water or long drive in heavy rain, followed by....
2. Getting the engine really hot (heavy load/steep hills), followed by........
3. Switching the engine off too quickly, rather than leaving it to tick over for a minute...

Temporary solutions include the following:
A. Often it will start after trying the key 10 times or more.
B. Holding a long steel bar to the starter motor where it enters the bell housing, and whacking the other end of the bar with a large hammer. If the bendix or solenoid have stuck, this will free them!
C. If I manage to re-start the engine after the starter has stuck, next time before I turn the engine off I "blip" the starter with the engine running. This seems to dislodge any tendency for the starter bendix/solenoid to stick.

Note that temporary solutions A, B & C don't do the starter motor much good, and a starter motor replacement will soon be needed anyway! But they might keep you going for a few more days - even a few weeks!

In Romania I always carry a spare starter motor and water pump in the spares box. Both components fail regularly and I am stuffed with a dead starter or a broken water pump!

Good luck!

Colin

SteezTight

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I ended up taking the starter back to advanced and they gave me a factory replacement free of charge. It started right up with the new one, guess the old one just locked up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90