Steering Rock Assembly and Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crnadanny

Reaction score
Took my 2006 LR3 HSE to the dealer for an occasional vibration on front end, asked them to check balance/alignment. They diagnosed "play in the steering rock assembly and lower control arms", and vehicle can not be aligned. That repair would cost around $3200 since the warranty just expired in April (surprise??!!).

I don't want to spend that kind of cash unless absolutely necessary. I love the truck, rides great and is most comfortable vehicle out there for a growing family, but $3200??

So, being that I only drive on paved roads to and from work, short family trips and errands, etc...wondering if it's dangerous to drive as is. I'd rather change tires a couple of times if needed than dish out that much.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find another garage. And dont go to the stealership. Atlantic British can probably get all the parts you need. Ebay too. Thats just entirely too much money.

seanFLA

Reaction score
Just having a similar issue with my 2005 LR3. Was having vibration in the front end when braking (from like 50mph down). The tires were needing to be replaced as they were getting loud, so I put some new Bridgestone Alenza's on. Tire dealership did alignment with Hunter Road Force Balancer, but from time to time I'm still getting that steering wheel shake when braking. Wondering if I should bring it back to re-check that alignment or if it's possibly a steering rack or bushing issue now. Or is that a brake calibration problem? Worse part is that we don't the car very hard...no offroading, etc. I refuse to bring it to the stealership anymore. Guess I need to drive the full hour to the independent shop to have them check it out. I just can't trust my dealership not to do more than it really needs. Especially with 75K miles on it. If it's $3K to fix, I'd rather just put it into a new car.

Last edited:

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seanFLA, how are your brake rotors? Worn rotors can cause some of the symptoms you describe.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my original Ball joints and Tire rod ends only last 30K if either of you are on the oringinals then that is where you should start. I've had a place try to replace my rack on a past car for a bad inner tie rod end. Control arm bushings are also a possible culprit. All these are easily diagnosed and reasonably inexpensive to repair but you need to have a good mechanic that just doesn't see the luxury nameplate and charge you for it. Dealers are not the place to go either. Find a good indy or DIY out of warranty.

I would save the rotors until last as well. The braking is likely just bringing out the previous problem that the RFB is masking.

tdrewd00

Reaction score
Took my 2006 LR3 HSE to the dealer for an occasional vibration on front end, asked them to check balance/alignment. They diagnosed "play in the steering rock assembly and lower control arms", and vehicle can not be aligned. That repair would cost around $3200 since the warranty just expired in April (surprise??!!).

I don't want to spend that kind of cash unless absolutely necessary. I love the truck, rides great and is most comfortable vehicle out there for a growing family, but $3200??

So, being that I only drive on paved roads to and from work, short family trips and errands, etc...wondering if it's dangerous to drive as is. I'd rather change tires a couple of times if needed than dish out that much.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
So I have noticed some vibration in the steering wheel when turning, but only occasionally. Is this the same thing as yours?

RumRunnr

Reaction score
My two cents is to have both the lower control arm bushings inspected as well as the inner and outer tie rods.

I had the same shake while braking from 50 MPH. I learned the hard way that it's easier and more cost effective to replace the entire control arms than to try to find someone to replace the individual bushings & ball joints. I paid about $2000 parts + labor at the dealership for 2 new control arms and inner tie rods plus alignment.

She drives drives like a brand new truck. It was definitely worth the $.

Just got back from a road trip to Madison, WI and it tracks/drives awesome. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boye1