Steering vibration 55-65 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just bought my first Land Rover and am experiencing a steering vibration between
55 and 65 mph. The dealer installed all new tires as well as new front rotors and
tie rod ends. I feel the vibration in the steering wheel. It is not severe but noticeable.
There are many posts on the web about this issue with Land Rovers and I have not
seen a real fix for it yet. Has anything recently been identified to correct this?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be lower suspension bushings or wheel bearings.

Reaction score
Just bought my first Land Rover and am experiencing a steering vibration between
55 and 65 mph. The dealer installed all new tires as well as new front rotors and
tie rod ends. I feel the vibration in the steering wheel. It is not severe but noticeable.
There are many posts on the web about this issue with Land Rovers and I have not
seen a real fix for it yet. Has anything recently been identified to correct this?

Took my 2006 LR3 HSE in to the dealer for diagnonis and they isolated the vibration
to a bearing in the front differential. They are going to replace the whole front differential
next week when the parts come in.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like an odd source for the problem. I'm not 100% convinced.

Reaction score
Seems like an odd source for the problem. I'm not 100% convinced.

I'm not sure either. They had it running up on a rack and used a sound scope
to pin point it. When I did a web search on the problem I did find a hit from
a Land Rover tech that said it was the front differential also. I'll post next
week after they replace it and let you know if that fixed it.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be that the front diff is making a noise, but that could also NOT be the source of the vibration. This can't be under warranty for an '06. This is going to be an expensive hunt...

Reaction score
Could be that the front diff is making a noise, but that could also NOT be the source of the vibration. This can't be under warranty for an '06. This is going to be an expensive hunt...

Lucky for me that the dealer is going to cover the repair costs since I just bought it
up last week and they have a 3 mo 3000 mile warranty. I also purchased a 2 yr
24000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I dont disagree with you at all that this may
not be the souce of the problem. I called them back and told them that I suspect
the front drive shaft may be causing the bearing to go bad and that I think it should
be replaced as well. They replaced front rotors and tie rod ends also last week and
I had them put 4 new tires on it. Even though I have had these problems I must
say I still love the vehicle.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh then by all means have them change that front diff and TAKE CARE OF IT after that. Change the fluid every 30k (maybe 15) and stuff like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112