Stock Tires Off-road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Michael

What are people's experiences with the stock street tires off-road? I know LRs traction control technology overcomes some of the tractions problems, but the street tires make me a bit nervous in terms of going out in the desert, where the sharp rock there makes tire punctures in the sidewall common. Even All-Terrain tires are vulnerable to some extent, although some appear to be much better than others.

Michael

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently completed the Gold Mountain Jeep Trail in Big Bear with 19" Goodyear HP's on my HSE. The tires performed much better than I anticipated even with 27,000 miles on them! We climbed over some pretty severe rocks, and did fine, just went slowly and took care around sharp rocks. I have since switched to Michelin Synchrone's, and took them off road today. Didn't go out on the rocks, but for general offroad, the sidewalls are pretty sturdy. If you have an SE, get the Nitto's for serious offroad, but they don't make a 19"

SoCalLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock 18" on my LR3 and did some pretty serious off-roading in the Anza-Borrego Desert and also in Sedona, AZ. I wasn't sure how the tires would hold up but was fairly impressed. Not sure I can do too many more trips before a side-wall issue, but so far so good.

H

Houm_WA

I'm curious how they would do in mud and snow. They did fine at the driving school in CA, but it was fairly dry. I think that mud changes the equation.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SoCalLR3, are you a member of SCLR by any chance? Where do you go wheeling?

I just came back from Joshua Tree with SCLR this weekend. Day 2 of the trip was a serious test of the tires. Thousands of sharp pointy rocks.

I run the 18" rims and Nitto A/T's. I found that airing down to 18 psi was bad. Caused my tires to rub frequently. I went up to other pressures and at 25psi found the sweet spot. Soft enough to deform around rocks, good in sand, no tire bead issues on sharp off camber rock areas. Now I just gotta figure out how to adjust my Stauns to 25psi and I am good to go.

L

lr3junkie

Houm_WA said:
I'm curious how they would do in mud and snow. They did fine at the driving school in CA, but it was fairly dry. I think that mud changes the equation.

I drove around quite a bit in the big snow storm in NY earlier in the year. Weight and technology in the truck makes it difficult to tell how good the tires really are.

L

lr3junkie

nwoods said:
SoCalLR3, are you a member of SCLR by any chance? Where do you go wheeling?

I just came back from Joshua Tree with SCLR this weekend. Day 2 of the trip was a serious test of the tires. Thousands of sharp pointy rocks.

I run the 18" rims and Nitto A/T's. I found that airing down to 18 psi was bad. Caused my tires to rub frequently. I went up to other pressures and at 25psi found the sweet spot. Soft enough to deform around rocks, good in sand, no tire bead issues on sharp off camber rock areas. Now I just gotta figure out how to adjust my Stauns to 25psi and I am good to go.

Watch the video on Staun website on how to adjust them. Here's a tip a I learned after using the deflators for a week, once you get them set at the PSI you want, tape them with electrical tape so they don't accidentally get adjusted while taking them on and off.

H

Houm_WA

I've been out in the mud a little and didn't fare so well, but now that I've "learned" to drive at the little experience/course, we'll see if new skills aid me in my off-road exploits whether it be in mud, snow or otherwise.

...but those Goodyear MT/R's from the G4 truck look sweet !

roverdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm_WA said:
...but those Goodyear MT/R's from the G4 truck look sweet !

That they do. I'm kickin' myself over just putting a set of new Wrangler All-Weather HPs on before seeing the thread about the 19" MT/R's being available stateside in August. Just my luck. Are you thinking about switching over?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink