Strange noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

roverX

I have a ticking or clicking noise coming from the front of my engine. The fan is not hitting anything. It speeds up when the engine revs up. There is enough oil in the engine and I have blown enough engines in my misspent youth to know it is not coming from the area of the lifters. It has been occurring for about 3 weeks now and it has not gotten worse. Or should I say I noticed it 3 weeks ago, don't really know how long it has been going on. No fluids are leaking other than the usual ones! No coolant is leaking. It is a 96 D1 SE7 with a 2 inch OME lift. Any suggestions? No codes are thrown either.

Could the water pump be going out? Does it make that type of noise? But no fluid is leaking.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like sticking valves. Classic problem with the D1.

R

roverX

So what can I do about it? Is there something I can put in the engine or gas tank to take care of this? Or is a valve job in the near future? If so, how long can I go until I need to do it before doing any damage? How much would or should a valve job cost?

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar noise recently and it was coming from the alternator. Replaced alternator and I was good. I could tell by putting my hand on the alternator that that was where the noise was originating. Perhaps use the screwdriver to ear method to figure out exactly what is causing your noise?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It could also be a cracked manifold.... very common on LR's.

As Heem states, get a long screwdriver or a mechanic stethescope and find the issue first.

A little searching goes a long way.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
joey said:
It could also be a cracked manifold.... very common on LR's.

As Heem states, get a long screwdriver or a mechanic stethescope and find the issue first.

A little searching goes a long way.

My thoughts exactly, my D1 had a cracked manifold on the left side, and made an annoying ticking noise, u can really hear it when your're going down a narrow street with cars parked on both sides..

C

chiti66

Strange noise

We both have the same problem. My mechanic has diagnosed the problem as an exhaust gasket issue. First thought it was an exhaust leak, but after really looking into the problem determined that it was the gasket. About $1500. to fix. My mechanic works only on LR/Jags, all UK vehicles. Good luck.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
chiti66 said:
About $1500. to fix. My mechanic works only on LR/Jags, all UK vehicles. Good luck.

Good Lord Man.... $1500, I put headers and a complete exhaust, cold air intake, new electric (replacing stock fan) and built a new bumper for less money......

R

roverX

Well, according to the screw driver to ear method, the noise seems to be coming from the water pump. How much can I expact to pay for that part (US $) and how long will it take me to do it?
Thanks

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Nathan (www.discountrovers.com) and get one. It's not an impossible job but it's not necessarily fun. I think I paid like $120 for a new one and had it installed for a couple hours' labor time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4