strange PING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ,guys.
I am trying to avoid stealer as much as possible(even tried local indy shop, but that would require longer visit to locate this annoying ping) so first i will ask forum members, if this is something that you know about.Here is the issue:
Every morning at cold start when I pull out of my driveway i hear fairy loud "ping" from footwell area i can also feel it under my foot when it happens and it appears when tranny up shifts from 1 st to 2 nd actually when I drive slowly pings at1250 rpm but with faster start it is at 1 st gear at 1750 rpm.The sound is rather scary and it resembles steel cable hitting piece of metal although i am aware that there is no actual cable connecting gas pedal and shifter .Right?.I don't think that it is transmission related because it happens only at start ups,and it does not happen when upshifting later at regular traffic lights ,stop signs etc.etc.
I tried to recorded and posted at forum but sound quality was so annoying that decided not to
I also had clutch actuator replaced last year but not know if it is related or not , besides 12.000 miles of warranty on particular part expired and i am out of regular warranty as well so did anyone hear of something like this before? I am at 70.000 miles right now ond don't wont to spend money at bogus diagnostics at dealership ,although guy at indy shop told my that stealer has some kind a scaner with five sensors they attach to different points on the car so they can pin point exact "ping " location .What do you think?
'
'Thanks .

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't identify this from your description. But one thing you could look at, as unlikely as it may be, is the bottom rear bushing on the front a-arms. If the bushing is thrashed, perhaps is moving enough to make a metal to metal contact sound.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had lower control arms replaced recently as well as front tie rods so i don't think it is related
Imagine the sound of thickest guitar string puled hard,blunt add lasting 2 seconds in the front footwell.that is what it souds like and no no actual mariachi guitarist trying to play under the hood.No.

hollidj3

Reaction score
I have the same problem with mine. I cant figure out what it is. And it only happens on a cold start/take off.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem here as well. It doesn't happen daily just sporadically.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99