Street Driving Tire??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

penguinrover

Reaction score
Approximately 99% of my driving is city/highway miles (go ahead and laugh now :tongue:). I have read endless threads trying to dissect through the replacement options. I have the 07 with the stock 255/60/R18 's. In this stock size it seems that I have narrowed it down likely to the General Grabber AT2 or Kumho Road Venture APT KL51. My question pertaining to these models...would I see any significant difference in road noise or handling? i.e. I like the more rugged look of the General but didn't know if it would be significantly louder or rougher than the Kumho.

Of course my other option are the Wrangler Silent Armours 265/60R18. From what I have read, it seems like these could be a good option for my usual driving. However, I just bought one of the Ford ESP warranties and am curious if using a tire other than the nonstandard size could pose an issue down the road (as in denied warranty claims). The fine print specifically states to follow manufacturer recommendations for replacement items.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks for your help.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know alot of the ******** off-roaders would probably laugh but I know what your saying.. the only safari i'm going on is thru the concrete jungle ..lol .. I'm running the cooper zeons in 285/60-17( they were on the truck when I bought it) and for regular everyday wet and dry weather they are great .. I had a little trouble in the snow but I like the way they look .. if I was you I would do your own research, read the reviews from other people with vehicles of similar weight since the LR3 isn't a light truck or a regular suv, it's very heavy. I heard some people say the pirelli tire is good but theres alot of mixed reviews.. good luck

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry. When you think about it, even 1% offroad is 500 miles for every 50,000. In terms of REAL offroad, all but the most diehard guys probably only do that or maybe 1000. But even at that, real off road requires a better tire.
I've been waiting for my Michelin Cross Terrains to wear out so I can get a 'semi-real' tire: either Silent Armors or maybe the Hankook ATMs. But they won't wear out, I may have to prematurely replace them....
They are a good road tire, quiet and long lasting. Not that great in the snow, but then again I'm comparing them to my Nokians ;)

penguinrover

Reaction score
Tried to post for a few days now but apparently the server had a hatred for me. Thanks for all your feedback. Got a few quotes from some local guys. Around 1000 for Generals, 850 for Nitto, 730 for Kumho. This includes balance and lifetime rotation, etc included. My question is can these big retailers properly change and service the tires. I read somewhere about certain places didn't know how to deal with the air suspension and could damage it. The dealer was priced around 300 higher for installation with no free maintenance. Let me know what you guys think. Sadly we have no local Land Rover independent shop.

Thanks for your help

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running Michelin Latitude 255/55 R19... LOVE THEM. Super smooth and quiet. Great on wet stuff and in the sand. I live in Florida, so no real chance to drive in snow or find any nice trails that don't consist of a bottomless mudhole... But a great on road tire.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have experiencing with either tire, but I do recommend calling Treaddepot.com for a price. They knocked a few more $$ of the tires I recently bought from them then they were advertising. Ok, maybe it was the shipping charges, but either way the best price I could find anywhere.

J.D.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive 33k miles a yr on my Cooper Zeons, I also tow my boat. I dont have road noise issues with going 75mph. If anything I lost some mpg. Previous the dealer had Continental summer tires and when it rains here in FL its a monsoon so i switched to a more aggressive tread and to fit the wheel well better.

barry3bail

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out which tires are best for my LR3 HSE 2006. I had the 255/55 R19 when I bought it. Atire guy put on 255/50 R19 so I am up again for tires. what do you guys recommend

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ngomac